Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #1 
weildgirl

Chlorinated Counter... Help

I have a female betta named Cher. Young and on the small side still. She lives in her tank alone (I got one of those double-tanks from Petco and took out the separator) with a plant.

So far so good. Last week, however, I left home (Virginia) to visit family in Georgia. I left my animals, including Cher and her "brother" Sunny (also a betta) in the care of a close friend who also has pets. Unfortunately, I was unable to get Cher a weekend feeder while away, and by the time I returned, my friend had pretty much clouded poor Cher's tank with food (I think she poured in a bit much) and the tank was filthy and stank. So, I cleaned Cher's tank.

Earlier this afternoon, I had to wipe down my kitchen counter (where I take Cher's things to clean them) with Lysol wipes. I followed Lysol with a Bleach Pen to get rid of some stains on the counter (we rent, so I'm very careful with this). After cleaning up the bleach, I re-Lysol'd (I know I'm weird) and dried everything up thoroughly with a paper towel. As I went to put Cher back into her tank, she flipped out of the net and onto the counter. I immediately worked to get her back into fresh clean water, although she flipped around on the counter a few more times. She seemed fine from the git-go, though obviously a bit frightened from the ordeal.
  • What can I do to insure that she was neither burned or otherwise harmed by the counter having been chlorinated earlier?
  • Should I worry?
  • What can I do if she does show signs of having been aversely affected?
Please help... Cher is VERY special to me, and was an extremely special gift from my husband recently. I couldn't bear it if something happened to her right now.

Thank you so much ahead of time.
weildgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome.....

I would keep her water really clean with 100% daily water changes for several days-often that is all that is needed-the chemicals could cause her slim coat to be compromised-but clean dechlorinated water should help that as well.

Do you know how many gallons her tank is? if it is small (less than a gallon) you may want to make 3-100% weekly water changes on a regular basis to prevent problems in the future once you see that she is fine after her ordeal......

Also, I would not use those feeder blocks in small tank-fish can go a fairly long time without food and be just fine but limited on the water quality...

Love to see some pic of your Bettas...Sunny and Cher.....like that....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #3 
Adastra

Hello, I agree with everything OFL says. If your fish is ever exposed to harmful chemicals like bleach, it's a good idea to use a little more dechlorinator than you would usually use in their water. Bleach is chlorine, after all, so the dechlorinator will help detoxifty it along with a few other chemicals. Activated carbon is another way to help remove toxins.

Those tiny plastic divided betta kits are really not a good way to keep a betta permanently, if it's the type of tank I'm thinking of. They are very small, difficult to keep clean, and impossible to heat properly. I'm in Virginia too, so I know it can get cold in the winter. You will need to get a heater for her eventually. Also, just like other animals, when fish are kept in very small spaces they can become bored and develop destructive neurotic behaviors like tail-biting and glass surfing. These behaviors are stressful and endanger your betta's health--so you should look into getting something larger for them soon. I recommend a 3-5 gallon tank kit with a filter--these tanks can undergo a process called the nitrogen cycle, which will make tank maintenance a lot easier for you. You should take the time to research this process and learn how to cultivate beneficial bacteria in your filter.

If you happen to be closeby (NVA-DC metro area), I can give you some clumps of java moss--it is a live plant that is very easy to grow. It will consume the fish's waste as fertilizer and give you a bigger error margin as far as water changes are concerned.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote