Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #1 
bluebettafish

Reflection/plant issue

Hello. I have a 6 gallon tank with 1 male betta and I have a dilemma.

I try not to keep the lights on too long because he will try to fight his own reflection as long as the lights are on. But this seems to be causing my plants to die. I've tried many kinds of plants but the only thing that survived is the java moss attached to a coconut (it's growing!). Even my java ferns are dying. I want to keep live plants because they seem to be better for him.

I thought I fixed this problem by taping a background (which wasn't long enough so I have a white sheet of paper on one side). He managed to keep fighting the reflection on the front glass that's not covered. If I cover all four sides, I don't get to see my fishy. So I'm thinking maybe I'll use a timer and have the lights on during the day with all 4 sides covered to minimize reflection.

The guy at PetCo told me today that I should keep the lights on for 18 hours for the plants to stay healthy. That's a long time...any suggestions?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

18 HOURS????!!!! I leave mine on 10 hours a day & all plants are doing just fine.

Sorry, can't help with the reflection thing.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #3 
Capricorn

Mine chased their reflections for a while, but they've settled down now and don't seem to notice it. And yeah, 18 hours is way too long.. e.e My lights are on for 10-12 hours usually.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 
bluebettafish

He probably doesn't know much about bettas, because he suggested that I leave the light on all night....

What I tried today was to leave the light on during the day and covered all 4 sides of the tank since I'm not even home anyway. That should be about 9-10 hours. When I peak through the gaps he seems to be calmer when all 4 sides are covered even with the light on. I've tried to get him used to the reflection but he keeps tearing his fins from too much flaring. His fins were fine today so maybe this will work.

Thank you for the replies. Now I know that there's very little we can do with the reflections, and that 18 hours is too long!!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #5 
ZH10

My new Betta is having the same issues of reflections. Are they suppose to just chill out after a while?
ZH10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #6 
bluebettafish

Mine seems to be doing a little better.
I'm monitoring how he's doing with the lights on today and he is swimming around like normal with occasional flaring. His tail looks a little like he bit it but not that bad. So maybe they do get used to seeing their reflection after a while. I'll keep monitoring so he doesn't fight himself and tear into his tail real bad.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #7 
Cutar

After a while they will just stop. I have 2 bettas in a divided 5 gallon with a see through divider and they used to flare all the time. Now they dont even give eachother another look.
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote