Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 
wystearya

Terra Cotta - Safe?

Are the plain (unpainted) Terra Cotta pots you find at craft stores safe to put in a fishtank? I ask because I want to give my Betta a hiding spot, but with the way the plants are in his tank I currently don't have anything small enough. The mug I had is too big for the available space. I got to thinking about those small Terra Cotta pots, but I didn't know if it would be safe. I mean, does the Terra Cotta degrade under water? Or would it be OK?

Thanks so much!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #2 
Welsh

Most people on this forum use those pots. I for one am a huge fan of them, have no idea why though, i just think they look cool haha. The pots are safe to use just make sure you wash throughly before you add it to your tank
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #3 
wystearya

Oh good! I definitely will be getting one then. I think it will look nice in my tank, as I have it mostly natural. - Brown/tan gravel with live plants, just a few colored glass marbles.

Thanks so much!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #4 
Welsh

No problem I also have the natural gravel like you and it does look quite cool, if I do say so myself haha
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I love the look of them! but I have read on here to plug the hole on the bottom of the pot because fish have gotten sucked into them and stuck.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 
Welsh

Ahh yeah forgot to mention that lol, fill it in with aquarium sealant if your worried, all I do is just bury that part into the gravel and then put some gravel in the inside of the pot
Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #7 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
No problem I also have the natural gravel like you and it does look quite cool, if I do say so myself haha
I think so too! I actually just posted a picture of my tank in the Pictures forum if you want to check it out. ;)

----------

I do know to plug the hole, but thanks so much for posting in case I was unaware! Small things like that can make such a big difference for our little fish friends.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 
Capricorn

Yeah, I have one for one of my males and he loves it.. just be sure to cover that hole somehow. (: Mine is half buried in the gravel.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote