Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #1 
Capricorn

Finrot as result of tail biting

Okay, I wasn't going to make a thread, but I'm thinking I should now.. so Nettle, my HM male, bit his tail fairly low in one place about two weeks ago. I had added salt to the water to give him a boost, but I checked in the other day and realized he had black at the end of his fin where he had bit it. I pulled him out immediately and put him in QT, added aquarium salt and kept an eye on him.

It's been about five days or so, and I don't see an improvement with his tail.. what's next to try? Should I keep using the AQ salt? His QT is unfiltered, so I change 100% every day. I've read of people using Maracyn, which I would rather not have to use, so what else can I try?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 
Alex09

Been there. but he kept on biting even more in the Qtank. So I put him back in his 10 gal after a few days. Cant put salt in there as I have cories and plants but I try to keep the water clean with 50% weekly water changes. He still has fin rot though it hasnt progressed much.

I think the best treatment would be warm clean water. I would say keep using the AQ salt for another week or so and see how it goes.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Thanks, Alex!

He hasn't bitten it since being put in, luckily.. though I'll keep an eye on him. (: If he does I'll probably move him right back over.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 
Adastra

In my experience, halfmoons take a lot longer to regrow fins than plakats or veiltails. I assume it's because all of the branching in their fins is much more difficult to regenerate than webbing and more sturdy rays--warm, clean water and a high protein diet will be the best thing for him.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #5 
Capricorn

Thanks Ada!

When I got him he was missing about half of his tail, and it took about four and a half weeks to regrow.. before he decided to bite it again. e.e I'm fine with his tail being short for now, I just want to knock out the rot before it becomes a bigger problem.

Tags
fin rot, tail biting