Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Question Algae?

Hay guys!

So I've had my sorority for a while now, plants and all that stuff. Cycled, filtered, ect. I have been noticing some algae on the sides of the tank and wiped it off, only leaving one patch left, if I needed a Guinea-pig. :) Any way, it was only a few patches but I flipped because I know that algae means your tank has too much ammonia. So I did a large water change and added a small amount of ammonia neutralizer. But I'm starting to think I over reacted. Is algae really but, or just unsightly? The algae is green, but not hairy. It has clumps, but is fuzzy when you look through it. Is this algae bad? If so, what should I do about it? Also, should I step up my water changes?

Thanks!
~Alissa
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #2 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
Hay guys!

So I've had my sorority for a while now, plants and all that stuff. Cycled, filtered, ect. I have been noticing some algae on the sides of the tank and wiped it off, only leaving one patch left, if I needed a Guinea-pig. :) Any way, it was only a few patches but I flipped because I know that algae means your tank has too much ammonia. So I did a large water change and added a small amount of ammonia neutralizer. But I'm starting to think I over reacted. Is algae really but, or just unsightly? The algae is green, but not hairy. It has clumps, but is fuzzy when you look through it. Is this algae bad? If so, what should I do about it? Also, should I step up my water changes?

Thanks!
~Alissa
Not necessarily true - it could be because you have too much light or because you have a nutrient imbalance. Algae isnt bad to fish, it's just like another plant, it absorbs ammonia and adds oxygen to water. too much Algae can be bad for plants though as it can steal all the nutrients.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

So Should I let some of it grow, but cull it every once in a while? I keep my light on all day, and turn it of at night... But now that I think about it the tank may be getting indirect sunlight from my mirror... hmm.. I'll check my ammonia parameters.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #4 
Alex09

I would just take out as much as I can during water changes. I recently had an blue-green algae and hair algae breakout. I figured it was because my light was too strong so I lifted it up a few inches higher (my tank is open top and lighted with a desklamp) and added diy c02. I also use only half the recommended dosage of plant food and it seems to be going away. I also upped my water changes to 50% weekly from 25% weekly (10 gal) because my fish developed fin rot. Not sure if that helped with algae.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

... the ammonia is .10 mg/L according to my test kit. I think it's .05 but my Dad says .10 . His eyes are going, so I think its .05 but just to be safe I'll say it's .10