Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #1 
BlueHaven

Is there a way I can take the frame off an aquarium

Anyone know a way I can take the frame off an aquarium? I mean the black trim on it. I want to redecorate it if possible, but it's like cemented to the tank(s) it's so tough, I am afraid of cracking or breaking it. One is an acrylic tank the other is glass. C:
Actually, I am just planning to do this on the acrylic tank. The glass one i'm going to leave alone.

Last edited by BlueHaven; 10-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #2 
wystearya

I'm pretty sure that at least on the glass, if you remove the frame it will no longer be strong enough to support the weight of the water once filled. I think it would put too much stress on the seams and they would burst.

If the acrylic one is made the same way as the glass, I would have to assume the same thing would happen.

May I ask why the frame is bothering you? Black goes with most anything. ;)

Maybe, if you could find non-toxic paint, you could paint the outer part of the frame? Nothing that would touch the water of course. I mean, if the black is really bothering you so much.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

Not unless you want bulging tanks that will not hold water after a while. :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #4 
CjRager89

I plan on making a "cabinet" for my 2.5 when the stuff for my led light im making comes in. just going to fram it out in some nice wood. could try that instead of removing the old...just put new on top
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 
weluvbettas

I de rim my tanks all the time. If you have planted tanks like me it looks nicer without them on as you can not fully view the tank. All i did was get a knife and break them off (empty the tank as if it breaks you dont want gallons of water everywere.)
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #6 
Alex09

www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/How_to_Remove_the_Rim_off_a_Standard_Rimmed_Tank.p d

On smaller tanks (</= 10 gal) de-rimming will be fine, it wont really affect the balance of the aquarium. On a bigger tank, say a 30 or 55 gallon its not reccommended as the seams will not be able to support the weight of the water.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 
BlueHaven

Thanks for all the help!
I wanted to get rid of the frame because I like how "clean" it looks, especially with planted tanks.
I'm going to leave the glass one alone......kinda afraid of messing it up, lol
But maybe i'll try it later.

The acrylic one is only 2.5 gallons (mini bow) and it's not glued together in different pieces. There was no glue attached to the frame either, just clipped on very tightly so I eventually pulled it off all in one piece. Yay ~!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 
Learn To Fly

I've accidentally pulled the frame off my minibow. It's sort of hard but I think I'm going to permanently pull it off since it's my hospital tank now and when I clean it I don't want nasty diseases getting stuck up there.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #9 
BlueHaven

Cool, that's a good idea. :)
Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #10 
BlueHaven

I forgot that I have a 10 gallon tank in the backyard ~!
I left it there after doing something stupid with it, I hosed it down to clean it and didn't realize using full force on it would break the seal that holds the glass together. >_>
But I have aquarium sealant now and I was wondering. After I clean it out and let it dry in the sun, will it work if I put the sealant over the places that have been broken? NOT the glass, it's perfectly fine, I meant that the seal was torn/broken from the water pressure.