Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

New betta that Im sure has fungus

Today I bought a new betta to replace the one that had recently died, though im not sure how he died, all my others are fine, but that one just up and died, not sure why, not sure how, but thats old news. So I went to the store and saw a crowntail, the one the picture, and on the way home I noticed he had what I thought was fungus, since there were white cottony patches on his body that looked just like the fungus that one of my others had before. So I put him in his tank that i had set up the day before, I let the water sit for a day to let the ammonia evaporate since I dont own and water conditioners. So anyway, I put a teaspoon of aquarium salt in his tank, which is 2.5 gallons, as well as the anti fungal medicine that I had used before and put him in the new tank, without his cup water that came with him.

Now, my question is what should I do now? I know all I can really do is wait, but I was wondering if there was something that i could do that could help speed up his recovery. I dont want to name him untill hes healthy because if I do then ill be attached to him and if he up and dies inside of a few days then ill just be heartbroken.
Attached Images

Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #2 
ecoprincess

AMAZING betta!!

I am dealing with a fungus right now also....check my thread (in this forum) to see the pics. I just changed his water last night put the recommended dose of aquarium salts and already today its starting to clear up. His mood is much better and hes eating normal again. I try to stay away from the meds....but will use them if the salts dont do the trick.

Whenever i use salts i raise the temp to around 78/79ish.....frequent water changes is important when u have a sick betta, so maybe a water conditioner would be a good idea.......either that or get a change of water ready for a change sooner then normal.

:) oh yeah.....did i mention.....AMAZING BETTA!! :)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #3 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Thanks for the compliment, thought the camera didnt get its true colors, Its body is baby blue, the fin tips are white, its head is light red, and the start of the fins are blood red. But yeah, when i went to the store a few days ago there was a halfmoon there that was bright blue and white, i wanted it so bad, but didnt have enough for it.

Im starting to change my mind about the fungus, check out its tail, little white nodes, i thought that was jsut from the camera, but its not, theyre on the betta as well, so i did a 50% water change and added a quarter of ick clear, since a full tab is for 10 gallons. The betta is still basically in stasis, though when i bump the table he moves a bit. He looks like hes trying hard to breath, either that or his breathing is just lazy. The white cottony patches have almost completely cleared up, but i have no idea how long he was in that cup water, so im not sure if hes beyond saving, but im keeping my hopes up.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #4 
ecoprincess

I Wouldnt think beyond saving.....when i went on vacation, the person who was "TAKING CARE" of my betta didnt change his water for a week and a half and he was in a half gallon at that time, my betta was colourless and floating upside down!!!!! :( :( I changed his water, added salts and hes been great ever since....and that was a year ago! Well...great up until this fungus now! lol u can see some of the pics in my profile of how he was looking from living in such crappy conditions. Not sure about the ICK.......check out the pics on this site, may help u out http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #5 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Ive been there before, went there four years ago before i got my first betta. Ick is the only thign that fits those little white nodes, and even if its not ick i want to make sure, the petco i went to to get it doesnt take very good care of their bettas, i saw a molding piece of bloodworm floating in one cup, and in another there was a dead betta starting to grow mold. I wont complain though, they are the only pet store in my town that has an actual assortment of betta varieties, the other pet store only has veiltails.

And I know how it feels to come back from a trip to see a disaster in a tank, i left my female in the care of my mom, i came back six months later and half the water was gone, the tank was overgrown with algae, there was a half inch of poo on the bottom of the tank. I did such a drastic fix on the tan k that i dont think my female has recovered even yet, she still sits in the corner of the tank, only coming up to eat and breath. She getting on in age though, so i attribute that to it as well.