Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Angry So that new betta i had just bought not even six hours ago died.

So i bought a crown tail betta from petco, halfway home i noticed it had fungus growing on it, thought it was minor and that a little love and care would make him healthy, did the same thing i do with all new fish (which had never led to a fatality), and now its dead. What looked to me like Ick is all over his tail fins, and some fungus is still on his face, covering half of one of his eyes. Though the fungus might be velvet, i dont think it is, it looks nothing like velvet to me. And a few hours ago he looked as if he had a stroke, with his entire right half of his body not moving at all. So tommorow morning im heading back to petco and getting either a replacement or a refund. This is why I didnt bother naming him, now it doesnt hurt as much that hes dead since he basically had no name. Anyone want to help me get a definitive answer on what happened?
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #2 
small fry

It must have been a serious diesase.
Ick looks like little, tiny white dots, like specs of salt. Velvet leaves yellow spots on a betta that can be seen when using a flashlight. Fungul infections can also kill a fish if they are bad enough. They will leave miscolored patches of green or grey, and sometimes white cotony stuff. A bacterial infections can leave holes in the fishes skin, and cause the fish to become bloated. If it was just a really thin fish with tiny visable purple spots and a crooked spine (crooked sideways) it might have had the dreaded tuberculosis (but your fish probably never had it).

Was your bettas water de-chrorinated? Could it have been exposed to strong airborne chemicals, or chemicals touching the hands? Was the water tempreture between 75 - 81?

It might have been a diesase or water that was accidently mis-handled. Or both.

Hope this helps!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #3 
ecoprincess

aww....so sorry to hear that :(
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #4 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by small fry View Post
It must have been a serious diesase.
Ick looks like little, tiny white dots, like specs of salt. Velvet leaves yellow spots on a betta that can be seen when using a flashlight. Fungul infections can also kill a fish if they are bad enough. They will leave miscolored patches of green or grey, and sometimes white cotony stuff. A bacterial infections can leave holes in the fishes skin, and cause the fish to become bloated. If it was just a really thin fish with tiny visable purple spots and a crooked spine (crooked sideways) it might have had the dreaded tuberculosis (but your fish probably never had it).

Was your bettas water de-chrorinated? Could it have been exposed to strong airborne chemicals, or chemicals touching the hands? Was the water tempreture between 75 - 81?

It might have been a diesase or water that was accidently mis-handled. Or both.

Hope this helps!
He pretty much had ick, velvet, and fungus. I checked him again this morning before i took him back and he had coppery patches dashed all about his body. Im pretty sure he didnt have anything else. Everything else was the same it had been for every other fish i had ever gotten, let the water sit for a day, aquarium salt dosage according to tank size, and put him in. There should have been no chemicals anywhere, so im certain that wasnt the problem. Im pretty sure it was disease, and the fact that petco doesnt knwo how to take care of anything. Hell, when i walked in i went to the counter, they said head to the fish department, walked there, the person said these words exactly "return or refund?" they didnt check the water or anything else so i took the refund and wen to a GOOD store and bought a new betta.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #5 
BettaGirl290

wait, i think this should be under betta memorials..... and RIP fishy we barely knew. :(
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 
Alexanderismylife

Aw that's sad :( What petco did you go to? (im from minnesota)
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #7 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl290 View Post
wait, i think this should be under betta memorials..... and RIP fishy we barely knew. :(
My bad, new here and wanted opinions on how it died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanderismylife View Post
Aw that's sad :( What petco did you go to? (im from minnesota)
The only one in mankato.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I'm sorry, I'm glad they gave you the money back atleast to go spend elsewhere.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #9 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenalee Nilla View Post
He pretty much had ick, velvet, and fungus. I checked him again this morning before i took him back and he had coppery patches dashed all about his body. Im pretty sure he didnt have anything else. Everything else was the same it had been for every other fish i had ever gotten, let the water sit for a day, aquarium salt dosage according to tank size, and put him in. There should have been no chemicals anywhere, so im certain that wasnt the problem. Im pretty sure it was disease, and the fact that petco doesnt knwo how to take care of anything. Hell, when i walked in i went to the counter, they said head to the fish department, walked there, the person said these words exactly "return or refund?" they didnt check the water or anything else so i took the refund and wen to a GOOD store and bought a new betta.
Under that condition, no one could have saved him. Any one of those tree diesases kill bettas (actually I don't know for sure if velvet will but I know it is bad). It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong once you got the betta, and you got the betta with the intent to heal it.

I don't think you have done anyhting wrong with this experience so don't discredit yourself as a fish owner. Hope this helps!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote