Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Unhappy Im just having all sorts of bad luck...

So after yesterdays bad luck i thought i would finally have some good luck. Wel, thats not the case, the new betta i got is another beauty, IMO, but he has a problem, a big ol crater on the side of his face that looks like someone took a knife a carved out a part of the face and its just started to heal over. Heres a picture of the infection, the best i could get without my blackberry.

Any advice? I have aquarium salt in the tank, but thats about it, no water testing gadgets since before today the only things ive ever dealt with was a small bit of fungus.
Attached Images

Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #2 
Adastra

How is he acting? Still active and happy/swimmy? If so, then it's probably just an injury rather than an infected ulcer. I would keep doing the frequent water changes with salt like you're doing now--if everything is kept clean he should heal up fine. If his behavior changes and the wound starts looking angry, then perhaps we should step up the treatment.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #3 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Im not sure how he acts, he was in filthy water before i brought him home, and hes been here for about two hours. Hes certainly more active than the one i got yesterday, though his fins are all closed and hes hanging out in the top corner. It doesnt look like a injury to me, but im not throwing the possibility out the window, i got a better look just now and it looks really deep. What i can see is in the order, scales->red sore looking area-> white, like bone or skin that has been soaking in water for way to long. As soon as i get my blackberry back nill try to get the best picture possible. But he is active, when the sun shines he blows a bubble and swims around.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #4 
Adastra

If he had a bacterial infection, he'd probably be listless, lethargic, and wouldn't show much interest in food. Since it's so bad, you might consider getting some methylene blue. It is a stronger preventative than salt, and it will help with any ammonia poisoning he might have gotten at the store--I didn't realize that you have literally just gotten him, haha. Just make sure that if you have any live plants or biological filtration, you treat him in a separate container. Methylene blue isn't kind to bacteria or plants, so you don't want to ruin your setup by dumping a bunch in there.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #5 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Theres the best possible picture i can get without a professional camera. Im not all too worried about the plants, in my general experience, the anarchis is insanely tolerable. I accidentally left a bunch of it out of the water for a day, realized it, thought it would plump back up in water, and by god it did. Besides, i have plenty more where it came from.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Add some aqua salt to his bowl and treat him with that for no more then 10 days
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #7 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Been doing that fro the past three or so days.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

And hows everything going?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #9 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Okay i guess, it looks like its healed, but only a tiny bit, and hes spending alot of time in his cave. He also hasnt eaten, but he might just not be used to pellets yet.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

You might try soaking them in warm water before feeding..And are you do regular water changes?