Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #1 
ColtenB

55gal good or bad

ok so i'm thinking about putting a betta in my 55...i have 2goldfish in there right now and if needed i can give them to my grandpa because hes a big fan of goldfish..lol any way would that be to big or what could used some advice thanks Colten
ColtenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 
Alex09

Well goldfish and bettas arent generally compatible. Besides, bettas are tropical fish and need temperature of 98-80*F to thrive whereas goldfish are coldwater fish and need cooler water. You could rehome your goldfish, find a heater (if you dont have one) and put your betta in a 55 gal and buy other tropical fish such as cory cats, tetras, and rasboras as tankmates.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Your betta would love being in a 55 :D With the proper conditions, of course ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #4 
ColtenB

..i was afraid of having to get rid of them o well..i can do more with the betta anyway and i do have a heater in there i didn't realize it until i got it home but it's for a 30 gal and cranked up all the way it sits me at about 79-80 I've had it for like a year and it worked for the oscar that i used to have..i had a betta as a kid and i just kept him in a little bowl changed his water everyday and what not..now that i'm older and have the little funding i have i can do a bit more so i figure why not a betta don't usually see them in such a big tank..what would be some ideas on how to set it up decor wise? Also would it be an idea to put some females in theres as well? most likely i'll be getting it from walmart witch really saddens me but thats the closest place to get one as of right now..thanks for the advice again i really appreciate it
Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #5 
crowntail lover

If anything.. You should probably house females in the 55g and not just one male... A sorority of girls in a 55g is a perfect set up.. But you cannot house a female and a male betta together.. If you are looking to have a sorority..Then you will need to look for females at WalMart that are small in size..and all are the same size.. The younger they are the better... You never want to house a older betta that is used to being alone, with a sorority...Too stressful..and dangerous..And for decor.. Live plants, and plenty of hiding places... Be creative
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #6 
scootshoot

55 gallon for one male betta is obvious overkill. But hey, it's your tank, do what you will.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #7 
Alex09

Lol it's not just going to be for one betta. I think it's gonna be a community tank. I wouldn't advise on a sorority. They're not exactly beginner friendly. Many people try and fail. But a densely planted community tank would be stunning. You can use silk plants if you don't want to go live. They look more realistic than plastic. Driftwood would be nice too. But that's just me. I like the more natural stuff. Some people like spunky colors, castles and sunken ships. It's all about your preference.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #8 
ColtenB

i like the sounds of natural...hmm..and yes there will be more than just the one betta some bottom feeders and i'll experiment with some smaller fish that won't get eatin and won't do the eatin peaceful and what not..thank you guys all for your help looks like i'm off fishin now lol
Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #9 
ColtenB

Any ideas of to what kind of plans are best? there was some the i saw at a local pet store that were called jungle veil i don't remember if that was right but and wheres a good place to get real drift wood?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Well goldfish and bettas arent generally compatible. Besides, bettas are tropical fish and need temperature of 98-80*F to thrive whereas goldfish are coldwater fish and need cooler water. You could rehome your goldfish, find a heater (if you dont have one) and put your betta in a 55 gal and buy other tropical fish such as cory cats, tetras, and rasboras as tankmates.
Um, 98 degrees would be way too hot for bettas. I'm assuming you meant to type 78?

But anyway, I think a betta in a community tank would be a good idea!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote