Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #1 
t3l01v

Two Bettas, One Tank

So here I am. I just commented about how to deal with a forum troll, and now I'm opening myself wide open to be trolled.

SO, Have you ever had success keeping multiple betta fish in a single tank? I have, and would like to discuss with anyone who's interested.
t3l01v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #2 
metalbetta

When it comes to males, it is definitely not recommended to keep them together. They will either kill each other right away for territory, or they will lead very stressed out lives.

Females on the other hand are totally capable of co-existing. They can be very aggressive, but if you keep them in groups of 4 or more, the aggression is spread out and they should be able to live together in a minimum of 10 gallons, with lots of plants and hiding places. I have a female betta fish sorority myself. They fought like hell for maybe the first 24 hours, now they're all for the most part peaceful with eachother... except for Daiquiri... my little dictator... had to remove her for a bit just because she was just that aggressive. Drama. lol... I could probably link you to a couple of helpful forums if you were thinking of starting one up if you're interested!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #3 
t3l01v

Thanks for the input Metal. Good info.

At first I had integrated a few females into my 20gal (see my tanks) community tank. After a while, I fell in love with the fish. I wound up taking all my community inhabitants to the petshop (except my eels) and buying more females. My sorority was awesome.

Then I got my 125 set up. I lost one eel and about ten female bettas after the first week or so. I was pretty crushed. The 125 is a uniquarium, so I couldn't do anything to minimize the water flow, and I had to add powerheads to keep the water looking clean. I thought I had to give up on my bettas.

I noticed though that the ones that survived were very healthy. All of my betta stock is PetCo bought- and I've noticed that a LOT of their bettas arrive sick or just weak. A few months later I'd find out that they get their bettas from a single breeder, and I talked with the breeder and found out that only the dregs of his spawns get sold to PetCo.

I've added about five or so females to my 125, and they're all doing well. Picking them out is very difficult however, and I did have more than one die on me in the process.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #4 
t3l01v

I've spent months watching the females and how they interact with one another. After the first spats over territory- they stop. My tank is moderately planted, but I have a HUGE rock pile with holes throughout. I have rocks in there that you can't even see from the outside, but I knew that my bettas would appreciate the space, so I spared no expense.

I have three red females that have been in the tank at least two months, and they actually school together. It's so neat.

Recently I added three males. That makes ten females, and three males in the same tank. I'll post some more recent pictures soon, as I've just noticed that I don't have any more recent ones.

Of course, these are not the only fish in the tank. I've got a very explicit strategy for picking the fish and setting up the tank for multiples if anyone here is interested in talking/ trying it.

I really feel like my process works, but I won't know unless other people try it and are successful too.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad it's working out for you but I'd still keep an eye on them in case someone decides to start trouble. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #6 
CjRager89

I wish I had the space to set up a tank that size, for now im stuck with my little 20 gal :/ Seems like it would be enough space though for 3 males to co exist....
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #7 
Owlets

I'd love to see pictures, I've never heard of a set up like that working out :o
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #8 
Lunatatice

Yes, pics would be nice! :)
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #9 
t3l01v

I R idiot, I totally forgot about this thread.

I thought I had a problem- I added two more bettas and didn't spend my normal HOUR watching them before I bought. I guess I got a little cocky.

Two of my males turned up with nipped tails.

I caught one of my angelfish nipping at them- red handed. He's been moved =)

There's some flaring going on, but nothing too aggressive. The fin nipping has stopped since I removed the culprit angel.

Pics incoming.

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 10-16-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #10 
t3l01v

Here we go. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by t3l01v; 10-16-2010 at 06:23 PM.