Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #1 
peaches3221

fd brine shrimp?

ok so my betta Lonnie must have a highly sophisticated pallet or something because he spits out the pellet food and won't even bother with flakes. he loved fd blood worms, though, but I wanted him to have variety in his diet. I heard that brine shrimp are really good for bettas so I thought I would give it a try. I bought the hikari brand from petsmart. I open the can and it turns out to be big chunks about the size of a nickel! how am I supposed to feed that to my betta? and how often should I feed them? thanks for your help everyone!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #2 
Feral

The Hikari fd brine shrimp cubes are about all my little guy will eat other than minute live insects which he really loves. I've found that scraping the cubes with a fork makes small chunks which he then wrestles into smaller, edible bits. I feed him 3 times a day, no more than he will eat in five minutes and remove the rest with a net. So far no bloat and he's really grown nicely and has good color too.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 
Jupiter

These are good treats, but they don't make very good staple food. Have you tried different brands of pellets or soaking the pellets in garlic juice?

Hikari FD brine shrimp is what I have though. I feed it to them once a week with a crushed pellet. I just pinch off a small piece about the size of my betta's eye and let it soak.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #4 
peaches3221

thanks! yes, I know they are not a staple food, and I intend to also feed him fd blood worms. is that OK?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #5 
Jupiter

What I meant was that things like FD bloodworms and brine shrimp make good treats, but shouldn't be used as staple food. You're right that bettas should be fed a varied diet, though.

Like I said, try different brands of pellets and flakes if he refuses one. Also try soaking the pellets in garlic juice.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #6 
peaches3221

thanks! where do I get garlic juice? would garlic powder mixed with water work?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #7 
peaches3221

i tried the fd brine shrimp. I broke off a small chunk, wet it and fed him three teeny little peices, about this big: - he seemed to enjoy it. if fd brine shrimp and bloodworms are only a treat, how often should i feed them? once a week? every other week? once a month? oh, and I also tried hikari betta flakes, he spit those out, too. I heard bettas can eat flightless fruit flies, and my petco sells them. are those a healthier "staple food" for him? what else could i feed him?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Once a week is good. I'm not sure about fruit flies, though.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #9 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
i tried the fd brine shrimp. I broke off a small chunk, wet it and fed him three teeny little peices, about this big: - he seemed to enjoy it. if fd brine shrimp and bloodworms are only a treat, how often should i feed them? once a week? every other week? once a month? oh, and I also tried hikari betta flakes, he spit those out, too. I heard bettas can eat flightless fruit flies, and my petco sells them. are those a healthier "staple food" for him? what else could i feed him?

Sounds like you got my guys brother, he is a finicky little varmint- refused EVERYTHING (bloodworms, flakes, pellets) for two whole weeks until I got him the fd brine shrimp. And he still won't eat frozen and thawed brine shrimp, gotta be freeze dried or nothing. If yours is like mine, he'll go bonkers for live bugs though, if they're not too big.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

The fd shrimp cubes are soft and you can crush them up. I have a small container I keep a crushed cube in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote