Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #11 
wystearya

Oh, I was going to suggest the Hawkeye 5 Gallon from walmart too:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

But I see your not into buying online. I'll just say I love my Hawkeye tank and Wal-mart has always delivered for me. I've bought from their website many times and never had a problem.

Good luck finding what you like. I hope it will be better for you than the 10 gallon has!

--------------

Heater...

Well, I've so far only had one heater. It is a pre-set and I know some people feel they are not good heaters. But the Tetra brand pre-set (HT10 is the model) has been working wonderfully for me. I used it in my first 2.5 gallon, and now in my 5 gallon. It keeps the temperature steady, right around 78 degrees. I have had cold temps so it has been "tested" so to speak.

Still, it is up to you and what you prefer. I just wanted to give my personal experience with the Tetra pre-set. I'm sure other people here can suggest other brands including adjustables that are good too. :)

Last edited by wystearya; 10-26-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #12 
Jupiter

Thanks. I've found that Tetra heaters work well in smaller tanks, like 2 gallons, but haven't worked in anything much bigger. Yours is like this, right?

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #13 
wystearya

I guess the packaging has changed since that picture was posted online. Mine is the HT10 by Tetra. So far, for me, it has worked in both my 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks. But, that is me.

Someone else here (I think their username is MrVampire) posted they used it in a 10 gallon with success. Though I wouldn't personally want to use it at the max gallon, I would get the larger wattage heater Tetra makes for larger tanks.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #14 
Posaune

I'd say if you use it for under smaller tanks it should be fine. I have one in my 55 gallon tank and it doesn't do anything. Which is fine, it's for goldfish :P
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #15 
puppyrjjkm

I love that brand of heater :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #16 
Adastra

I use and recommend this 25W heater: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368 it is accurate, adjustable, and has an indicator light. I use Marineland Eclipse nano tanks, and have been quite satisfied with the design.

The fluorescent lights are strong enough for many live plants, but don't go nuts. Hairgrass probably will not work out for you. If you get a planting substrate or use root tabs in inert substrate, you can have a very nice carpet of lilaeopsis (microswords) this looks a bit like hairgrass but thrives in lower light without CO2 or Excel. It would be a great alternative to hairgrass. I have successfully grown java moss, christmas moss, stargrass, lilaeopsis, java fern, dwarf lily (Nymphaea stellata) amazon compacta, and Rotala rotundifolia in my eclipses. The rotala, mosses, lily, and java ferns do best. I definitely recommend those. I supplement with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and not much else in the little tanks.

As far as the filter, I chose to opt for a less conventional filter baffle. I removed the bio-wheel and filled the bio-wheel chamber with ceramic filter media and some 50 micron filter pads. The bio-wheel is really just a gimmick to help the dumb people who buy into the idea that you should change your filter cartridge every month. Pfft. It makes much more sense to fill the chamber with more filter media that will help soften the current at the same time.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #17 
Jupiter

Alright, so today I went out and bought the Eclipse. I got the Tetra heater, but if it doesn't work, Big Al's is good about exchanging and I'll try something else instead. I also got some gravel, fertilizer tabs by Seachem, and a cute little home made out of a coconut.

I'll go back and get a piece of driftwood, live plants, and probably some more gravel (don't think I bought enough) when I have more money.

I'll be setting it up tomorrow or tonight, if I finish my essay early. So excited! :D

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Oh, and is there any way possible that I can clean my moss ball so I can transfer it over? If there really isn't, well, I'd rather toss it than risk Janus' health. But...it's so cute...I've grown kind of attached to it. Maybe I'll just keep it in a bowl or something.

Adastra, how long to you keep your lights on in the tank? I'm still not sure how many hours is sufficient.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #18 
vaygirl

I had a really bad experience with the Hex 5. The filter was slow and after a while it would decrease to almost a drip if the water line went a half inch below the rim and this kept leading to mini cycles. My Marineland 6's were A LOT more forgiving as far as the water line goes (my house sucks water from the tanks like I live in the Sahara). It could be that I just had a bad filter on mine but since I only had the one, I'm not sure. I know the filter flow is 35gph. Also, cramming decor into that hex seems feasible until you try and then it's just frustrating.

Fill it and run it first, drop the water line a bit and see if it slows to a crawl. Then you can take it back if it does? Hope that helps.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #19 
Jupiter

Eh...wish I had known before I went and bought it. Well, I'm going to be setting it up tomorrow night, but I'm not sure if Petsmart will accept a return if it is faulty after i set it up.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #20 
vaygirl

Maybe it was just mine! I'm a total grouch about that tank. I missed that you had already bought it when I posted. Those banners in the middle of the threads keep screwing me up. Sorry Jupiter. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote