Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Signs starting to show!

If you remember earlier, Nathan's betta had to go through the awful torture of the 'school project' dilemma.. While he survived(due to sneaky proper care when the teacher was gone) he is starting to show signs he did not make it through the week unscathed!

Because he's rather active, it's hard to see his fins clearly sometimes, but during a water change nathan noticed the tips of his crowntail tail looked very weak, sort of like they could crumble off, and they were a white color instead of red.

My guess is tailrot?

He's also lost some color, looks a bit stressed...

It seems like he has been hurting but was toughing it out, and is just now starting to really feel the damage that was done to him that week! Oy!

We're doing the best we can to get him comfortable, what's the best thing to do in this situation? Should he be moved to a hospital tank? Or should we upgrade him again like we were planning to... And should we medicate or is it early enough to stop it without medication?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
If you remember earlier, Nathan's betta had to go through the awful torture of the 'school project' dilemma.. While he survived(due to sneaky proper care when the teacher was gone) he is starting to show signs he did not make it through the week unscathed!

Because he's rather active, it's hard to see his fins clearly sometimes, but during a water change nathan noticed the tips of his crowntail tail looked very weak, sort of like they could crumble off, and they were a white color instead of red.

My guess is tailrot?

He's also lost some color, looks a bit stressed...

It seems like he has been hurting but was toughing it out, and is just now starting to really feel the damage that was done to him that week! Oy!

We're doing the best we can to get him comfortable, what's the best thing to do in this situation? Should he be moved to a hospital tank? Or should we upgrade him again like we were planning to... And should we medicate or is it early enough to stop it without medication?

Tail rot looks black and crusty some times streaky red.

White Edges to the fins are pretty normal signs of healthy fin re-growth
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Really? I had heard earlier it can sometimes be white... Well, good news then? I guess it was the opposite of what we thought, instead of breaking down it was building up!

We'll still be careful with him and keep him warm with clean water!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #4 
Adastra

What was he subjected to during the school project? D: Since when is animal cruelty "OK" for educational purposes anyway? Whoever runs that program needs a slew of scathing emails, in my opinion. I would be happy to oblige.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Create a working environment in a one gallon tank. They were allowed to feed but not change water, they were given options--betta, 2 goldfish, 3 adfs, 1 adf plus 2 house geckos on an 'island'(this angered me), a group of insects(but they had to catch it themselves and no one could find any that weren't already sick!), or a group of killifish.. Ugh! Everyone's died. All but this guy. They had to live a week and the students were encouraged to not rely on caresheets but to use intuition to let them live.. Geckos were given crickets far too large, they did not make it.. Died in the water, poisoning frog. Ryan saved one of his friends bettas by secretly changing their water, but the kid fed flakes and way overfed and the poor fish didn't make it..

Trust me, it's a new teacher and he is getting some nasty emails!
The rooms temperature was also in the 60s because it is a lab room and they have a bunch of things at low temps in there!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #6 
JessG

What a horrible project to use living things for. It's one thing to create a little "biosphere" with a plant, some dirt, and a cricket and a worm in it. It's another to try that with fish and animals.

Sorry, as a parent, I would have had a little sit down with the teacher on that one. He's a science teacher that clearly doesn't know his science if he thinks you can throw a bunch of stuff in a jar and create a living biosphere.

A cycled tank is a living biosphere. Look at how long that takes to set up, while being carefully controlled and monitored for the right conditions.

Idiot.

Sorry again, but I can't help it. My inner biologist is cringing.

I hope the little guy makes it. He deserves a happy comfortable environment after that fiasco.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I once had an issue with my science teacher:

Her: If you have a 10 gallon fish tank and it gets algae what are you doing wrong?

Me: Overfeeding, not cleaning enough, too much lighting, or your tank is too close to a window.

Her: Wrong.

Me: I've been breeding bettas for years and caring for fish in general since I was little, I think I'd know if I'm right or not.

Her: Well I'm a teacher and your a student, which means your wrong, and don't talk back to me like that or you'll go down to the principles office.

Me: Whatever.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #8 
Posaune

I'm in school to be a teacher (music) and I can't stand when I hear about teachers like that. One is on a power trip, and the other wasn't paying attention in biology classes :\ AGH =_= I'd like to know what the heck your teacher thought would cause algae vampire
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Yeah, it was awful! I'm glad this little guy made it.. I remember Nathan going to pick up his siblings from school on the last day of the 'experiment'... We had our fingers crossed so tight that he made it through the week!! He did, woohoo! And now it's just recovery. He's HILARIOUS and fiesty, flares at anything he sees and will attack foreign objects in his tank(like siphons or new decorations!)

I'm glad it isn't fin rot.. Nathan said it looked like it had spread, but if it is fin regrowth then it must be spreading outwards as his fins heal?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #10 
Adastra

What a horrible human being. If you would like additional scathing emails, I would be willing to send a few out if you'd give me the information.

Anyway, about your poor betta, some methylene blue could help with the ammonia poisoning. Other than that, just warm temperatures and clean clean clean water along with a high protein diet should help him build new fin tissue and fight of the infection faster. Keep us updated!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote