Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #1 
wystearya

Food - How much..?

Ok, so I was feeding my Betta 3 pellets for breakfast and then at dinner he would get either 3 bits of bloodworm or 3-4 brine shrimp. I was told this is too much..

So, now I am confused.

I don't want to overfeed, but the pellets are pretty darn small. HBH Betta Bites is the type I have.

Bloodworms (frozen) are big, so I break them into pieces. Like I said it was usually 3 bits in the evening when it was bloodworm day.

The brine shrimp (again frozen) are pretty darn small. I thought 3-4 was OK for dinner on the brine shrimp days.

----------

I have cut back since someone here told me it was too much food. Yesterday I gave him just 2 pellets for breakfest and 2 brine shrimp at dinner.

Anyway, my question is: How much should I really be feeding him? The bottle of pellets says 3-4 at a feeding. (I do pre-soak.) And I had assumed this was meant as twice a day. I was trying to replace one pellet meal a day with either bloodworms or brine shrimp for variety. I thought this was healthy for him... Perhaps not..?

Suggestions are welcome! I don't want to hurt my fish. I always look at his belly to make sure it's not overly rounded or large while I feed him. I only put in one pellet (or piece of other food) in at a time. This way I can monitor how large his belly gets. Still, I really want to do this right! So, help?

Thank you all!
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #2 
Capricorn

Well, mine get either three pellets once a day, or one pellet in the morning and two at night. When they get blood worms they get two or three of them.

Remember that a betta's stomach is only about the size of their eyeball.. and they will ALWAYS beg for more food, even if their stomach is full. (: I think if you feed him once a day he'll be fine.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #3 
TaylorW

You can feed him twice a day if you fast him at least one day each week. I'm a college student that goes home for the weekend, so I feed my fish two pellets in the morning and a freeze-dried blood worm at night. I was worried about my fish eating less food on Fridays and Sundays, and no food at all on Saturdays, but he's fine. He's still got a little belly on him and he's doing fine! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

You should feed your guy twice a day.. I feed my bettas a total of 3 pellets everyday..but I sometimes feed bloodworms instead of 2 of the 3 pellets once or twice a week... I also fast them one day of every week.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote