Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 
ma3lstrom13

Hungry Hungry Betta

My betta seems always hungry. I feed it two pellets a day and he looks really bloated after eating them. When I feed the community fish, he also eats some of their food making him look even more bloated. And he even goes as far as search the gravel for loose food. What should I do? Should I feed him more? The one time I actually saw him poo it came out red. What should I do?

Note: My previous betta ate 4-6 pellets a day and did not bloat at all. However, the new one seems to bloat after one so I am hesitant at feeding my new one even two pellets (I do so in the hope that he will stop eating the community fish food). The new betta will eat one pellet and spit it out and then eat it again, so I am hesitant about even feeding him two. He is a lot smaller than my old one.

Last edited by ma3lstrom13; 10-24-2010 at 07:16 PM.
ma3lstrom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #2 
TaylorW

Do you soak your pellets in tank water before feeding? This might help prevent the bloating so that they won't swell in his stomach.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #3 
Capricorn

Bettas don't really have a shut off switch that says "hey, my tummy is full", so they'll keep begging and searching for food even if their stomach is full. Remember that a betta's stomach is only about the size of their eyeball.

And yea, soaking pellets helps cut back on bloating.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Yes. You should start soaking your pellets before feeding to help with the bloating..
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote