Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question Adf ?

I hope this can go here, as this is the only aquatic pet site I go to. If not, I don't mind it being moved. :)
(Also to those that know me, sorry again for not being around as much hehe).

I just got a couple of ADFs FINALLY (if you remember me, you know I've been wanting a couple for some time).

I have everything set up for them and all, I just need to be sure of one thing, how much to feed them.
I have the HBH pellets and I do have bloodworms (I might give as a treat).
The bottle says 4-6 pellets a day, and that sounds like a lot.
I put in 3 today for the little guys and one of them ate all of one and nibbled on the others. The other guy is still a little shy though. The one that ate has a nice fully belly, so I took out the remaining food. I want to feed them again tomorrow, but I don't want the one that has eaten already, to be over-fed.

So, how many pellets per day for 2 ADFs? And, should their be a fasting day?
Thanks! :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 
nochoramet

Oh ok I see this now :D Welcome back! I wish I knew something about ADF's but I do not. I think purplemuffin knows a lot about them, maybe she'll reply soon.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #3 
MizzVamp115

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a complete noon but what is an adf?

[ps, I live in SC too :D]
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

African Dwarf Frog. :)

That's awesome!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #5 
purplemuffin

Hey! I actually know more about pacman frogs than african dwarf frogs but here's what I can tell you--

African dwarf frogs prefer live/frozen bloodworms, freezedried can actually cause them intestinal issues if fed too often, basically blocking up their system!

They, like most frogs, eat a huge amount of food for their size! But be careful not to over feed, they generally will search the tank for any leftovers

Best feeding schedule is every other day--Why? Gives them the time they need to digest their food and then be ready for the next meal! You can probably feed every day in smaller portions, giving them a fasting break a couple times a week..

Basically, feed until they have a tiny bit of bulgy tummies! Then take the rest of the food out!

Don't be afraid to feed the bloodworms, they do better with a decent amount of blood worms/brine shrimp! You can feed those more often than you could a betta..

if you want, invest in tongs. They can't see all too well, and sometimes their food can be just snatched right up! It's easy to control the amount each gets if you put the food in front of them! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Hey! I actually know more about pacman frogs than african dwarf frogs but here's what I can tell you--

African dwarf frogs prefer live/frozen bloodworms, freezedried can actually cause them intestinal issues if fed too often, basically blocking up their system!

They, like most frogs, eat a huge amount of food for their size! But be careful not to over feed, they generally will search the tank for any leftovers

Best feeding schedule is every other day--Why? Gives them the time they need to digest their food and then be ready for the next meal! You can probably feed every day in smaller portions, giving them a fasting break a couple times a week..

Basically, feed until they have a tiny bit of bulgy tummies! Then take the rest of the food out!

Don't be afraid to feed the bloodworms, they do better with a decent amount of blood worms/brine shrimp! You can feed those more often than you could a betta..

if you want, invest in tongs. They can't see all too well, and sometimes their food can be just snatched right up! It's easy to control the amount each gets if you put the food in front of them! :)
Thanks for the help! Fortunately, they have their own tank to themselves, so no need to snatch up their food before another fishy does.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Awesome! They are super fun to watch! I love frogs :] So funny how they are fully aquatic, honestly that's the biggest thing that throws me off about them compared to my other amphibians I like.. Hmm I guess mostly cause I deal with toads and tree frogs?? XD Sooo want a dumpy tree frog.. <3

You should post some pictures of your friends :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote