Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #1 
OliviaTree

Foggy water/Ph corrector

I woke up and the water was overly foggy. I used a test strip and it said that the water was acidic. (also the water is at very soft is this a problem?) The alkalinity is between low and moderate. The rest was safe. Anyway, I put a ph correcter in to hopefully neutralize the ph and did a 40%-50% water change. I disolved the ph corrector tab in some of the water and added it after removing the fis. It did not say to remove the fish and/or to leave him in. My question is after testing it, I realized the water hasn't changed much. Still acidic and still very soft. Not as foggy though. Should I put him back in now? He is in a container swimming in the original foggy water.

Edit: Although it is acidic still it is closer to neutral than it use to be..(it's in between the two colors on the strip)

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-25-2010 at 08:16 AM.
OliviaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #2 
Capricorn

You really don't need to mess with your pH, your fish can and probably has adjusted to it by now. As for the water, do you have a filter or have you disturbed the gravel lately? Sometimes that makes the water cloudy.. a couple water changes should get it back to normal.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree, leave the pH alone...the swings can kill the Betta-the fish will adapt to your source water pH and be just fine and it is safer.....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes. water temp, additives used besides the pH, filter, live plants, appetite????
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #4 
OliviaTree

@Cap: Oh, ok! Yesterday was the first day he was put into the 10 gallon tank, meaning it was brand new water other than his previous water from the first tank added in. Gravel is new as well and was rinsed very well before added. It was a little foggy yesterday (and water was very soft also), but when I woke up it was hard to see in it was so bad. Yes there is a filter; it is new as well. I haven't baffled it yet, but I'm about to do that. Do you think its safe to put him back in with the disolved tablet in there?

@OFL: He eats when fed even though I noticed after swallowing the 3 tablets today he spit them back out 5 min later. Did I feed him too much? Only additives are the water conditioner. There are beta bulbs and plastic plants. No live plants as of yet. The filter is running now without him in it. The water was only changed about 30+ min ago. The water changes are quite frequent for him seeing how he is new. First he was put into a 1 gallon tank and then the day after I placed him in a 10 gallon. Now he is having it replaced again.. I'm a little worried. Should I leave him in the little container? Or should I put him back into the tank. He has a heater too so I' don't know if that will affect him when adding him back.( seeing how there is not heater in the little container)

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-25-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would make some back to back 50% water changes on the 10g tank to get any of the pH product out and to clear up the water and then slowly add some of the new water (10g) to the cupped fish as he is floating in the tank-equalize the temp like you do with a new fish and then add him...make sure to use dechlorinated with any new water added to the tank if on city water supply

Then to maintain a cycling 10gal filtered tank-make twice weekly 50% water changes for the next 4-8 weeks-one water only and one include the substrate vacuuming/cleaning-without testing products

If you have testing products for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate-while cycling make a water changes with any reading of 0.25ppm or greater ammonia/nitrite and one regular weekly 50% water change/vacuuming

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #6 
OliviaTree

Thank you so much.. I'm getting right on that!

So is Alkalinity and Hardness not that important as longs as they maintain very soft/ and low-moderate or should I be more aware of those also?

Edit: I just tested the water again. Everything in fine now... Although the Alkalinity/Hardness are still the same.

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since he is new it may take him a while to start eating good-offer less food and remove it if he doesn't eat it.

Do you have a vacuum for the substrate-if not you can do the stir and dip method, do you have the testing products for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Do you understand the nitrogen cycle?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #8 
OliviaTree

Well, I do have a test kit that measures nitrate/nitrite and they were at 0/safe and it also tests ammonia it was safe as well. If they are unsafe I am still unsure what to do though.. A water change? I'm not sure If I understand the "cycle" maybe I need to read more about that.

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-25-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

What kind of test products-liquid reagent or strips
What are your number for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

The nitrogen cycle is when two different beneficial bacteria convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrite to nitrate-these good bacteria need oxygenated water and surface area to colonize-they are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank-like the walls, decorations, plants both live and fake in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media-very little are in the water column itself so water only change will not hurt the cycling process.

When you have reading of ammonia, nitrite of 0.25ppm or greater-make a 50% water change
Once you have a nitrate 5-10ppm reading with 0ppm on ammonia/nitrite for several days without water change you are most likely cycled
You want to keep the nitrate under 20ppm but at least 5ppm-too high a nitrate reading can affect the immune response and often a sign of poor husbandry.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #10 
OliviaTree

I have strips. I also have something that constantly measures the amonnia so that I will know where it is at. I tested it and thought it was fine, but it appeared foggy so I had the water tested at petsmart and they said everything is fine. Thanks for your help. I assume the new filter is what made the tank foggy.

Also, now he has live plants and tankmates (corycats,glofish, ghost shrimp). I was told the could all be housed together. He doesn't seem to mind. Actually he seems happier and is actually swimming around more and hanging out in his floating log rather than sitting in one spot. Thanks again!! :)