Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #1 
rmcwilli

Heater choice help

i am using a marina cool 10 tank (2.65 gal.) and noticed the water in it is rather cold. what would be a good, cheap heater i could buy? i am a college student, and therefore do not have a whole lot of disposable income.
rmcwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #2 
TaylorW

Hello again! For your small tank you'll need a 25 watt adjustable heater. Some people have good luck with the preset ones, but I think it's worth it to be able to change the temperature if you want.

Mine's an Elite Radiant, it's a bit bulky and a little finicky, but it's cheap and I like that cause I'm a college student. I've seen them for sell for $5 on some websites! I haven't seen anyone else on this forum using it though, so I know it's not the popular choice.

Make sure to get a thermometer for your tank too! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 
rmcwilli

you certainly are helpful. it is nice that you are a college student too, because you would best understand budgeting limits. thanks again.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Hehe, I understand budgeting, but it doesn't mean I use it! I splurge on my fish WAAYYYY too much I have a habit of buying budget stuff first, then upgrading later... Already planning on how to use Christmas money on fish stuff, LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #5 
rmcwilli

hell, i'm making a list of fish things to ask my parents for at Christmas. just going direct rather than getting the money then going to the pet shop.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #6 
TaylorW

I swear, aquariums are addicting. I've had my fish for a month or so and started planning my aquarium before the semester started, and I'm already hooked! I would love to get a 2nd betta, but I'm not sure if that would make things too complicated or not...

Getting back on topic, I've heard good things about Hydor and Tetra heaters if you run into any of those.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #7 
rmcwilli

yeah, aquariums are addicting. i've only had mine for about a week. and i canot stop watching him/fussing over him. he seems to keep getting almost stuck on a fake plant i have, but am not sure if he is actually stuck or just scratching. either way, i think i'll take it out.

back on topic though, i have heard o lot of people say the tetras are a good heater.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #8 
TaylorW

Scratching? I don't think fish scratch unless they are sick. But make sure he's not getting stuck and that the plants are extra soft!

Tetras are good, they sell the presets at Walmart if you want to go that route. It's kinda a debate on the forums about which is better, preset or adjustable! Some people love them, some people hate them.

I like my adjustable though since treating certain illnesses works better with different temperatures, depending on what he has. Ich goes away at higher temperatures, bacteria at lower. And my dorm changes temperature a lot, so it's nice to be able to adjust your tank heater since you can't control the heat/air conditioning in a dorm!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #9 
rmcwilli

that does sound like a good idea. getting an adjustable one, i mean. i seem to worry about him a lot and i think it would probably be best to be able to heal him if he is sick. plus my dorm seems to fluctuate greatly between day and night. also, i think i should probably get rid of it as soon as i can, since i felt it and it feels kinda rough. but it lets him hide, so i'm going to let him have it until he stops freaking at his reflection.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Run the plant over panty hose, tights, or whatever material you have that snags easy, and if the plant snags the fabric, it's not safe for your betta! This is a good way to judge what will rip your fish's fins.