Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #1 
djflipside

Exclamation Browning Fin Tips

Hey guys,

Im a little worried about my Super Delta, its not as super as he was before. I have a split 5 gallon tank with a tetra 5-10gallon heater, and a 5-10 gallon tetra filter. He has started to develop curling on the bottom part of his fin as well as browning on the tips. I am also noticing his fins are developing horizontal lines, is this due to stress? . I have no clue what this means im pretty new at betta fish, and will use anyone's input.

Please help

here are some pics of him
Attached Images

djflipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

To understand-you have a 5g filtered/heated divided tank with 2 Bettas...correct...

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, additives used, any live plants-any medication or treatment tried?

You take great pic by the way...nice and clear....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #3 
djflipside

Yes it is a 5g tank with 2 betta fish. I have recently done a 20% water change 4 days ago, and added half the amount of aquarium salt needed for the 5g tank. I did not want to add the full amount because i do not want them to get use to it. The temperature is usually around 76-78 and I have no live plants 2 artificial, and 2 bridges for them to hide under.

Im not too sure what I am doing wrong. Should I do a full 100% water change?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It looks like ammonia burns to me

I would increase the water changes to 50% daily for 3-4 days and then on a regular basis make twice weekly 50% water changes to prevent issues with health and fins

If you don't see improvement in the fins after the back to back water changes and improvement of water quality I would recommend salt treatment in QT for 10 days

Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes for 10 days while in QT-any smaller container will work for QT-no need for heat or filter during the treatment-but you do want to try and keep the temp in the 76F range

I like to pre-mix my salt in a 1gal jug to make water changes and dosages easier...also, if you have IAL or oak leaf to steep in the pre-mix jug all the better-
Old 10-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #5 
djflipside

Its weird because my other betta fish in the same tank has absolutely no damage to his fins at all. I think i will do a 50% water change on the tank but QT the betta and add salt to help heal the wounds. Do you have any other suggestion on what I should treat him with?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #6 
Adastra

I think he's just a marble, he looks like he's getting a butterfly pattern in the anal and dorsal fin--usually infected ammonia burns are not this perfect and are usually on the thinner, more sensitive tips of the fin. I'm not saying that he couldn't benefit from more water changes, I'd be changing at least 50% regularly instead of 20%, but I don't think all these marks are infected burned areas. My guess is that he's eventually going to color up to steel blue over black. ;3 We'll see what happens!

If you want to learn more about marble bettas, you should check out this link: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114

Last edited by Adastra; 10-25-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I agree that he most likely has the marble gene, however, the curling tips (not infection) are usually caused by poor water quality and a secondary waiting to happen unless water quality is improved.

The other fish may not be showing symptom based on immune response, different tail type, water flow from the filter or length of time exposed...etc....
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #8 
Adastra

Oh, I was thinking about the deceptive looking black spot on the edge of the caudal fin in the first picture. I would have said it was infected except for the emerging butterfly pattern. I definitely do agree that his fins would benefit from more water changes. Often marbling occurs where there has been some kind of trauma, that's probably why the curled parts are coloring up.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #9 
djflipside

He does have blue in his fins usually, but I have just done a 50% water change to help his fins heal up. I will do another 50% water change in a couple of days. I just dont want all the good bacteria to leave, and then I have to cycle my filter again. I hate that. I am not too sure if does have the marble gene it would show more in his body, would it not?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #10 
Adastra

Not necessarily--every marble is different, but butterfly patterns are a pretty common early marble pattern. I would expect that over the next few months more color will start coming in on the body where you see those dark spots and the fins should fill in more, too. Who knows, eventually he might be solid blue or completely cellophane.