Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Impulse bettas?

So I've been seeing some recent impulse or unexpected betta additions for some members so I was wondering if you guys just have extra tanks lying around that you use for these new bettas, or set up something temporary then buy a new tank. Or just pretty much what you use as a home for the unexpected new family members haha. Because I'm feeling like one may be close in my future
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2 
bloo97

I have tanks sitting around. (Er, I have one)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 
Alex09

Ok some people buy impulse bettas and thats alright to a certain extent. But Too much of anything is not a good thing. IMO I see too many people buying bettas on impulse using excuses like "oooh he's so cute he wiggled at me at the pet store". I have seen bettas that I would really like to buy (I even posted a thread once) but I always walk away. I dont know, Hope no one takes this personally, but one buy after another, after another can become animal hoarding, which is a serious issue that needs to be worked out. I used to have a neighbor who came with a new pet snake at least once a month. His house smelled something horrible. according to him most of them were "rescued" from previous owners who no longer wanted them. I dont agree with impulse buys. or "rescue" buys. Only buy a fish (or any other pet) if you already have everything planned out and have a set mindset when you walk into the store. Sure, we may slip - but dont let it become a habit.

Just my $0.02
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #4 
Cutar

At the moment I have two tanks lying around but I went into petco the other day not trying to get a betta but I did.. and I bought a $40 tank kit for the betta
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I have about 20 extra tanks lying around that I pick up at thrift stores or are given to me. I don't allow myself to impulse buy any more but when I did I always had a tank, plant, and spare heater on hand before I brought the fish home.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 
Posaune

I only buy what I have room for. At the moment, it's just my ten gallon split in half. I've wanted tons of things I"ve seen, but I know better than to just get them without having anything ready for them (or having funds to live off of personally)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Ok some people buy impulse bettas and thats alright to a certain extent. But Too much of anything is not a good thing. IMO I see too many people buying bettas on impulse using excuses like "oooh he's so cute he wiggled at me at the pet store". I have seen bettas that I would really like to buy (I even posted a thread once) but I always walk away. I dont know, Hope no one takes this personally, but one buy after another, after another can become animal hoarding, which is a serious issue that needs to be worked out. I used to have a neighbor who came with a new pet snake at least once a month. His house smelled something horrible. according to him most of them were "rescued" from previous owners who no longer wanted them. I dont agree with impulse buys. or "rescue" buys. Only buy a fish (or any other pet) if you already have everything planned out and have a set mindset when you walk into the store. Sure, we may slip - but dont let it become a habit.

Just my $0.02
I completely agree. I have just seen some members buying a lot of fish recently and I was just curious what kind of setup those "surprise" fish got. I have 2 five gallons, a kritter keeper, and a 10 gallon that aren't used, so if I were to get an "impulse betta" they would have a decent home.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #8 
Jupiter

I used to give in and buy a lot of fish, which didn't end so well...I ended up not having enough time to take care of all of them properly.

Well, I'm resisting a lot more now. I saw a gorgeous indigo masked CT at Petsmart yesterday that I really had to struggle with not buying.
It helps that I have very little space or money now, though!

I've got 3 tanks back at home which I'm not using. it helps that they're with my parents rather than here.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #9 
SilverCaracal

I don't have room for impulse buy. Plus the fish at my local Petsmart aren't pretty or at least worth it.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #10 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I don't impulse buy, I dont even have one Betta right now =[

I have been searching for 'the one' for weeks. I won;t just settle, because as soon as I do I will find 'the one' and I don't want two Bettas.. I want one spoiled Betta.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote