Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #11 
Feral

Ummmm....

You college folk didn't really think you'd find people who think 'a fish is just a fish' on a Betta fanatics forum now did you?

I do understand that life is what happens while you're making other plans and in all reality, anything you do for the critters is in all likelihood better than what you took them from and you're to be commended for that but hey- you'd get the same response to this scenario from any pet forum wouldn't you?

Hope it all works out for you and your critters.

Peace....
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #12 
Jupiter

I'm a college student too. I know how it feels to go back and forth- my house is about 10-12 hours away by driving, so sometimes I can't take my bettas with me (especially since I used to have a ton).

Last winter break I left my 10 gallon fishtank for a month without changes. I had my aunt feed the sorority 2 pellets every other day, but I'm pretty sure she didn't do any water changes.

As you can imagine, the tank was pretty filthy when I got back, I had to do a major water change, but all of my girls were okay (except for one, but she was sick to begin with).

SO, considering you have one betta and live plants, you should be fine.

This winter break, since I have one boy, I'll be taking him home with me on the bus. I have a spare few tanks at home that I can temporarily set up.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #13 
kfish

Most of my fish experience does not lie with betta fish, however, my family has always had at least three well-stocked fish tanks in the house (five at the moment, some with fish far less hardy than betta fish), and many concepts remain the same.

We've skimped on water changes for far more than three weeks, with no ill effects. I can remember only two sick fish in my whole lifetime. We have a tetra that has been alive for at least eight years (he's frickin' huge for a tetra, lol). Granted, one of these tanks (the main one) has been in its cycle for over fifteen years (maybe closer to 20.... I can't remember a time when the tank has ever been in disuse, and I'm 21), so ammonia is always non-existent and nitrifying bacteria is PLENTIFUL.

That having been said....
I think your fish will be fine to be left alone if you follow OFL and the others' advice (lots of plants, try to have someone at least LOOK at the fish to make sure filter/heater are still working). Also make sure your building keeps the power on over break (not sure if you're in a dorm or not). With regard to the automatic feeder.... if there's a way to set it so it only feeds once a week, as OFL said, I would DEFINITELY do that. Or even if it just fed once or twice during the whole break. Maybe if you set one to feed after a week, and another after another week, with only enough for one serving. Not sure how automatic feeders work. Your fish would probably be fine without food for three weeks, but you wouldn't want to make them angry, right?

I know everything I've said here was already said, but I wanted to add my vote to the list.

I'm also a college student, so I can completely understand. I also know what it's like to get ragged on for asking a question like this, and start others on a rant about how stupid we college students are, as I've asked a similar question on this forum. Most days it's hard for me to justify the $160 dollars I've spent on this one fish, especially when I look at my bank account (yay one diminishing payout of financial aid!). u_u

If you are driving, transporting isn't really that hard, so you could still look into it in that case. If I had to fly, I'd be hesitant to transport, but maybe there's a way to bring fish in jars as carry on?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #14 
TaylorW

I'm just glad that other college students are here to learn! I'm a college student myself, and I was a total betta noob a month or two ago. I worry constantly about all the other fish in my dorm, and it makes me happy when I see other concerned college students on this forum trying to do right by their fish! We're all here to learn, so lets try not to criticize. Just being on this forum is proof that we care
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #15 
ilovebunnies

I've made 3 hour trips driving with my betta and other fish and they were just fine. I put my betta in a cup and brought him home. I saw someone else on here make a suggestion to use plastic bags. That would probably be better than the cup. It wouldn't hurt you fish as much if he bumps into the wall.

You could keep him in a temporary setup at home if bringing your tank home will be a problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #16 
bto

A big thanks to the students for speaking up... As I mentioned in another thread, this is what I use when traveling with my bettas. I've been on several 4 hour trips and numerous shorter trips using this method and it has always worked perfectly.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #17 
ElyseEleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Ummmm....

You college folk didn't really think you'd find people who think 'a fish is just a fish' on a Betta fanatics forum now did you?

I do understand that life is what happens while you're making other plans and in all reality, anything you do for the critters is in all likelihood better than what you took them from and you're to be commended for that but hey- you'd get the same response to this scenario from any pet forum wouldn't you?

Hope it all works out for you and your critters.

Peace....
I obviously wouldn't be a member of this Betta fanatics forum if I had the mindset of "a fish is just a fish so their lives are dispensable." We college students aren't saying that diminishes their value as pets. I'm just saying what Arowan said- I'm being realistic, a fish is a fish. it IS hard to compare them to a cat or a dog or to spend the large amounts of money you would on a cat or dog (I agree with what someone earlier said about financial aid payments gone... hahah). But regardless, thanks everyone for the tips and things to try. I'm hoping to find someone in town who can look after Pablo for me so I don't have to put him under stress of transporting him on such a long drive back home. I hope you find something nacho.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #18 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Just to put in my two cents as a college student as well...

I think your fish will be fine while you are gone, since you have the feeding figured out. And if your fish isn't.. well that was a choice you were willing to make by not finding a way to take hime home with you. As sad as it would be for him to die from bad water conditions.. it was probably abetter home than what most Bettas get.

With that being said.. I would never have a pet if I lived in a dorm. Maybe that is just me.. but I just don't really think it's fair. I didnt even KNOW pets were allowed in dorms. I stayed at home and pay rent and spend a lot of money on gas, so I can have my animals.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #19 
purplemuffin

Generally fish are the only pets allowed except in some pet friendly dorms--

At our school we are allowed one tank with one fish(though some get away with a few more small ones), max size is 10 gallons. Generally we get the bad betta homes here, my roommate still has hers in a small container, thankfully she changes the water a decent amount, though really not enough.. Her boy is cute, I'm hoping when I get my Dionysus in a proper planted 5 gallon she will be willing to upgrade for him!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #20 
nacho

Thanks for comments, and keep them coming.

I have to explain my situation in more detail. My last resort is leaving my pets in my dorm for three weeks. Electricity will not be turned off, as we are allowed to keep tanks in the dorm for the break- it is the only thing we are allowed to keep plugged in.

To those who say I did not have enough foresight to stop from buying fish: I did. Life happened. My folks moved from where they were living 5 minutes away from my college to another state 11 hours away.

I have considered shipping my fish to my parents' house, compensating a friend for taking the tank, the setup, the old water, the gravel, the plants, the aquarium stand, all accessories, and the fish for me, but I am not sure that is the most practical way to deal with my fish. The alternative would be to have someone check my fish every week, but nobody is allowed in the building over break.

Trust me. I've given a lot of time into this worrying about my fish. I treat them the best I can, and this is separate issue from having pets in a dorm. They are healthy in their home, and that is all that matters to me.

That said, I am in the same place I started out. OFL's hornwort suggestion sounds nice...I'll have to buy a few online as soon as possible then. Elodea/java moss balls/java fern are not enough, I guess?
Closed Thread