Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #21 
Alex09

Post a pic and show us how many plants you have. Hornwort can be found pretty much anywhere. Most LPS and LFS Ive been to carry it.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #22 
TaylorW

At my school you're allowed to have a fish tank 10 gallons or smaller, with no limit on the number of fish you can have. Because there is no limit on how many fish, I've seen terrible set ups, such as a two gallon bowl with multiple goldfish in it. This really eats at me, and I usually end up giving the person a piece of my mind.

So you don't understand how happy it makes me to see caring college students on this site, because I KNOW that if you're here your fish will be well taken care of. It's not hard to keep a small tank in a dorm, my 2.5 does fine. My betta's very spoiled, he's a pampered little bugger

Are you flying Nacho? If so, I don't think they'll let you put them in your carry on, I think that no more than 4 liquid ounces rule is still in effect :/
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

The plants you have are good and will help....just saying hornwort and water lettuce are really good at using the ammonia up before it is problematic for the fish......look at pond places that sell pond supplies and fish-they usually have either plant or if you have a local aquarium club...the local pet shop...look for any type of stem or floating plant to add just while you are gone for 3 weeks.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #24 
nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Post a pic and show us how many plants you have. Hornwort can be found pretty much anywhere. Most LPS and LFS Ive been to carry it.

I'll take a picture.

TaylorW- Yes, I will be flying home...It sucks I can't just keep the fish on my lap.

OFL- I will definitely consider getting those plants if they help.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #25 
kfish

Wow, my college seems ridiculously pet friendly by comparison.

We can have fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, dwarf rabbits, lizards (no iguanas) maximum length twelve inches from tip of nose to tip of tail, salamanders (certified non-poisonous), geckos, chinchillas, and non-predatory domestic birds not to exceed one-half pound. Max cage/tank size 3 ft. in length, 2 ft. in height. No limit on number of fish, max of two mammals or reptiles. They really don't enforce the rules, though. I knew someone who bought a rat, and it was pregnant (unbeknownst to anyone).... she had eight rats in her room, lol.

Good luck, nacho! I really think your fish will be fine.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #26 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post

We can have fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, dwarf rabbits, lizards (no iguanas) maximum length twelve inches from tip of nose to tip of tail, salamanders (certified non-poisonous), geckos, chinchillas, and non-predatory domestic birds not to exceed one-half pound. Max cage/tank size 3 ft. in length, 2 ft. in height. No limit on number of fish, max of two mammals or reptiles. They really don't enforce the rules, though. I knew someone who bought a rat, and it was pregnant (unbeknownst to anyone).... she had eight rats in her room, lol.

Wow, you guys can have practically anything. Are there not problems with animals getting out?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #27 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeDiscoSuperfly View Post
Wow, you guys can have practically anything. Are there not problems with animals getting out?
Never heard of anything! Technically the animals are supposed to be in cages at all times, but no one follows that rule either, lol.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #28 
TaylorW

Wow, your college is super pet friendly!! I wish my school was like that, my poor pet bunny has to stay at home with my parents I go home every weekend, so at least I get to see her a little bit
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #29 
SmokeNLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post

That. is. awesome. I wish I lived in your dorms. lol

Just as a back up to the college student thing- I am also a college student and has 3 betta in my dorm last year. I only live an hour and a half away, so it wasn't a problem. But I understand that being a problem. I do not think that it makes someone a bad fish owner for leaving them over winter break. Yeah, the conditions won't be perfect for those 3 weeks, but I don't see a problem with that. That shouldn't keep someone from having a pet. There are so many mistreated fish that even after the 3 weeks, this betta will still be MUCH better off than one in a place with a person around all the time.

I'm glad you made this thread. I've been thinking about what to do with my 10 gal over winter break. I have a few betta in smaller tanks that I knew were going home with me, and I was thinking about leaving my 10 gal. But I have decided to take that home too since its got more fish in it.

And I'm sure your fish will be fine, just take the right steps. Many other people's bettas live through far worse daily conditions and survive. You're doing everything you can for him, and I'm sure he will be fine :)

One more thing (included in my ridiculously long reply), I don't see why you wound ship a fish home and then back again. It's about $35 each way depending on companies and distance. That's spending $70 (on what I am guessing) is a $4 fish. I understanding spending that much on a set up, but not for shipping a fish back and forth. Not to mention the unnecessary stress that might kill him anyway.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #30 
nacho

Yeah SmokeNLark, it's impractical and very expensive to ship my fish back and forth over winter break. That's not a good idea at all. My choices are either to have someone take them home or to leave them where they are. Leaving them sounds best.

On another note, my sponge filter has been making fewer and fewer bubbles. It used to be a steady, strong stream of bubbles, but now it's only about 1 per half-second. Here in this video, you can see when the filter was working well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3rlkerLYU

I've been cleaning the filter - squeezing out the gunk in old tank water - every week, but that doesn't seem to affect the bubble stream. I do have a lot of algae growth that I keep under control with the magnetic scrub thing, but it still seems to grow on the sponge.

Making sure that the sponge filter works well is the first thing I have to do if I decide to leave the fish for three weeks. Anyone have experience with them?

Also, for the person who wanted to see what plants I have, I think the video shows everything. My elodea are much longer, and I probably have a few more strands of that. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same as the video.
Closed Thread