Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1 
Alex09

Feeding live bugs to a betta?

The title says it all. I have a bin of water outside that I occasionally find (various types of) drowning bugs in. Sometimes I like to take out one and feed it to my betta. Sometimes they are small flies, mosquitoes, larvae, and other bugs I dont know etc. I try not to feed him any bugs that look to "hard" such as beetles or pincherbugs or any that are too big. I look more for the fleshy ones. Anyways, My betta loves going after the twiching bugs and its pretty cool to watch... Once one of them climbed up the glass and he made a dolphin leap at it and got it! I was like "WHOAH!" Perfect YouTube moment.
is this safe to do? Does it provide healthy nutrients to the fish? And more importantly - Is it safe? I also feed him the occasional fly that I swat in my room - they are small flies not those giant flies that you see at dumpsters and such. Sometimes I worry about the bugs having come into contact with pesticides but if that happens then wouldnt they be dead? I know I can buy frozen worms but I dont think my parents would be too happy if they ever find a tub of worms in the freezer My mom might just faint lol.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

I can't say, but if you are worried about it, just stick to mosquitos & their larvae and rinse them off before giving them to him. :)
I'd actually like to know though too....the more options the better!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #3 
Feral

My guy luuuuvs baby cucarachas (hits 'em like a great white on a baby seal), doesn't care for gnats, and enjoys a small juicy bug or fly as long as it's not too hard to shred- make him work and he loses interest.

So far so good!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #4 
Posaune

Sounds like an interesting food source :) I'd be more worried about parasites though.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #5 
Adastra

The problem with feeding anything from outside is the fact that it might be tainted with pesticides, herbicides, other chemicals, and parasites. Unless you know the insects have not been exposed to chemicals, it's not safe to feed them to your betta. Mosquito larvae are a favorite because you can control the conditions they are exposed to more easily than say, a fly or other small bug that could walk/fly in from anywhere.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #6 
CjRager89

i have not done it yet with my betta (although i might) but i used to feed my oscar all kinds of bugs. yes i know its a totally different fish....but what the heck, still the same idea. he lived to outgrow my 20 gal so i guess he was fine with it.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You have risk with about anything....and if the bug looks yummy and soft...toss it to your fish and see what happens and as Alex posted if it is alive it is most likely free of anything bad...I wouldn't feed an already dead bug that died of unknown causes...if you swat a fly or skeeter toss it in and watch the betta have fun...moths can make the water a bit fuzzy but a betta really gets into them flapping around in the water...talk about excited.....lol........all my tanks are open tops and I have bug flying in the tanks all the time..some not eaten but picked on and others I will watch the fish go nuts over and gang up on

I feed massive amount of larva, some that I have no idea what they are..laffs.....the fish eat them and I have never had any problems as far as death, illness or anything like that.....

Just use some common sense and remember bugs are part of their normal diet........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #8 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjRager89 View Post
i have not done it yet with my betta (although i might) but i used to feed my oscar all kinds of bugs. yes i know its a totally different fish....but what the heck, still the same idea. he lived to outgrow my 20 gal so i guess he was fine with it.
bwhaha.. I fed my oscar all kinds of stuff. I love those fish. They just get too big, and I think Bettas act like them a bit. Loves food, notices you, kinda acts like a puppy..
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #9 
bloo97

Oooh!Now I want to feed Lucky and Dragon flies. We've got more than enough! xD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #10 
dampsugar

So I tried feeding a beetle to my betta last night. I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't like beetles because its still in my tank and he hasn't gone near it.
dampsugar is offline   Reply With Quote