Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #1 
dragonfair

florescent lightbulbs & natural light

I like the florescent lights in my 10 gal tanks because they don't add heat, but they make the tank & the fish look washed out. Has anyone ever heard of florescent bulbs that mimic natural daylight? I've been searching online but haven't found any info. Thanks!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #2 
Alex09

a bulb with a temp rating of 6500k is the best synthetic "daylight" we have as of now. Thats why 6500k bulbs are recommended for planted tanks. So just look for one of those. It usually tells you the k temp somewhere. If all else fails you can get a 'plant bulb'. They are the same thing but usually more expensive because of the mere fact its called 'plant bulb'.

Are the florescent bulbs in your tank the long skinny tubes or the short CFL (usually swirly) ones?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 
SilverCaracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Are the florescent bulbs in your tank the long skinny tubes or the short CFL (usually swirly) ones?
Are the swirly ones bad?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #4 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
Are the swirly ones bad?
No, I was just wondering what type he/she has so I could look for an example online
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #5 
SilverCaracal

Ok good. But as you mentioned before, 6,500 K bulbs are recommended for planted tanks. Where do I find on my CFL bulb how many kelvins it is? Sorry I'm so clueless.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #6 
Alex09

Its usually at the base of the bulb itself. It also always infront of the packaging when you go buy it.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #7 
dragonfair

She ;) has the long skinny bulbs. They are 18 inches & 15 watts. I'll have to check the bulb when I get home to see what the temp rating is. You can see the coloring of the light in my avatar. It's kind of blue-ish. It came in an Aqueon 10 gallon deluxe kit. I don't have any live plants, so my only concern is making sure I don't get one that gets too hot (both for the tank temp and as a fire hazard).
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #8 
Alex09

So what you want is a bulb with a low wattage. They produce the least amount of heat. But yeah your best bet is to get something in the 5000k-6500k range. Just go to the light bulb section in your hardware store. If you dont know what kind of bulb you have just take it to the store with you. They should be able to help you out :) Check the link in my sig to see what my tank looks like under a 13 watt 6500k CFL bulb. I know what you mean about those bluish bulbs. I have one of those in my goldfish tank and it looks very synthetic.

Last edited by Alex09; 10-26-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #9 
dragonfair

Yes - the lighting you have in the photos is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #10 
SilverCaracal

I found a pack of 13 watt, 6500K CFL bulb in my house!!!! Do you know how happy I am?! LOL