Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #1 
Lazuli

Question cleaning bowl?

hello,
I'm new here and just got my betta m.r lazuli and i had a question :how often should i clean his bowl? (wash the gravel, cave and other ornaments) , i do a25% water change every day, and should i keep some of the old water or do a100% change?(no filtration)
thanks
Lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #2 
MizzVamp115

What size is your tank?
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #3 
Lazuli

i forgot, i didn't know any thing about nitrogen cycling so i think my bowl is cycling with my beloved lazuli so if i wash the bowl will i ruin every thing or what?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #4 
Lazuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzVamp115 View Post
What size is your tank?
about 2 gal
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #5 
celine18

a 2 gallon bowl with no filtration shouldn't be cycling. heres a really good site that tells you about how to cycle a tank: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...less-tank.html

if you buy a water test kit (i recomend the API liquid test kit) you'll be able to better moniter your water levels and know when to change your water. but, as a general rule (based off my experience with a little over a gallon bowl that i currently have my boy in) you deffinetly need to do a 100% change once a week, including washing off decorations and gravel, and scrubbing down the bowl/washing it out (based on its level of nastyness). you should also (what i do) is a 50% change every 2-3 days, based on need. this should keep the water perfectly clean and ammonia levels at safe :)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 
Lazuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
a 2 gallon bowl with no filtration shouldn't be cycling. heres a really good site that tells you about how to cycle a tank: http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...less-tank.html

if you buy a water test kit (i recomend the API liquid test kit) you'll be able to better moniter your water levels and know when to change your water. but, as a general rule (based off my experience with a little over a gallon bowl that i currently have my boy in) you deffinetly need to do a 100% change once a week, including washing off decorations and gravel, and scrubbing down the bowl/washing it out (based on its level of nastyness). you should also (what i do) is a 50% change every 2-3 days, based on need. this should keep the water perfectly clean and ammonia levels at safe :)
thank you sooooooooo much i was so worried, i only had the little one for less than a week and i'm so in love with him
istill have one more question: he is not in a dark spot, is it a good idea to have lights in the tank or should the natural light be enough
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

I wouldnt worry about a light if the tank didnt come with one.. But if the tank came with one then lighting is just fine
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Natural light is fine for your betta. As long as you can see, it's sufficient for him. With a 2 gallon bowl I'd do a 50% change and a 100% change weekly, washing everything out with warm water. Be sure not to use soap!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #9 
Lazuli

thanks for help every one
you really made my day