Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #1 
Caliban

Ich / Ick on Fins or Paranoia?

My betta of 2 weeks has very tiny white dots on his tail fins. They almost look like air bubbles, but they do not move. His fins almost seem to not be spreading quite the way they were. He is still active and eating, there do not appear to be any spots on his body. I don't think the dots would show up in a picture. Is this ick or my imagination? My tank info is below.

Housing

What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 and just upped thermometer so approaching 80-82
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? not anymore
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega 1 betta flakes, occasional pellets and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? approx 2 small flakes twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week, last performed Friday 10/22/10
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat + and I use pH down in buckets at least 3-4 days before hand due to high water pH

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4 (often reaches 7.6 potentially higher as that is as far as test goes)
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins do not seem to spread quite as much and there are tiny white dots on his tail fins that almost look like air bubbles
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none, still active and eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? raised temp in tank slightly to 80-82
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him 2 weeks
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #2 
TaylorW

My betta got Ich, and he was still eating and active. Does it look like little grains of salt?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #3 
Adastra

If your tank is still in the cycling process, once a week may not be enough as far as your water changes are concerned. You should test every day to make sure the ammonia and/or nitrite does not creep over .25ppm, and if it does, you should do a partial water change.

Is there any way you can get a picture? Ich is basically as TaylorW described--small grains of salt scattered across the body. You should google some pictures of ich so you can get a better idea of how it really looks.

Also, your pH isn't out of the betta's tolerable range--it is unnecessary for you to use pH altering products as long as you very slowly acclimate the fish to the higher pH. Having a specific pH really isn't as important to domesticated and tank bred species like Betta splendens. You would be better off simply keeping the pH stable.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-25-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #4 
Caliban

I also have a piece of rikkia covered driftwood and and 3 marimo moss balls. I've looked up the pictures, it does look the same, though there is not a lot of it (yet), so I imagine it may be the very early stages. What would the best course of action be? I read somewhere that isolating doesn't really do anything, and he's alone in the tank anyway. I have a critter keeper I could use for a hospital, but it would be difficult to heat it correctly as it is small. Will it stay on on plants? I don't think I can get a picture. I have enough trouble seeing it on his fins as he moves.

Last edited by Caliban; 10-25-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Hospital won't help, you have to treat the whole tank to get it off your plants and stuff, and since he's the only one in there you don't have to worry about that. Try raising your tank temperature to 82 degrees and treat with frequent water changes, and your choice of aquarium salt or meds.

I like Walmart's Quick Cure if you're going to medicate, it fixed my betta in 3 days! Make sure to follow the dosage for tetras on the bottle, but I used the dosage recommended for other fish and my betta is fine. I read on another forum after my fish recovered from Ich that I should have used the tetra dosage... oops!

A lot of people have good luck with frequent water changes, salt, and cranking up the heat a bit too, so it's whatever way you want to go! Good luck, and I hope someone more experienced than me can stop by and offer you advice!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 
Adastra

Ich is present in almost everyone's water, it's just that the majority of fish out there have strong enough immune systems to fight off an infestation. I would not treat the tank with malachite green since it's very harsh and could have a negative effect on your plants and biological filtration. If you could find another container that you could heat, such as a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin, you could keep him in that if you decide to go for treatment. For now, you could just turn the heat up to around 82-83 degrees and do frequent water changes with thorough gravel cleanings.

Once the ich is gone, and he has had time to recover and build up his immunity he shouldn't catch the ich again once he is back in the tank should you decide to treat in another container.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Oops, if you have a 10 gallon, hold off on the meds! Adastra's right, it will mess with your good bacteria. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to tank size :/
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #8 
Caliban

The tank is at about 82, and I added a small amount of aquarium salt. I really don't have another container I can heat at this point. I intended to do a water change tomorrow and add a bit more salt. I've added about 1 rounded tblspn so far. I understand salt might kill my plants, but I figured it was a sacrifice I might have to make. I did buy some ick medicine with the malachite green, but I got it as a last resort if the salt/heat doesn't seem to be doing the trick by the end of the week. The heat does seem to be making him flare at his reflection more, it makes me a little nervous.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #9 
Adastra

You can purchase a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin for about $3, if you get a 4 gallon size, you should be able to use the 50 watt heater from your ten gallon safely--just monitor it closely. Storage bins are wonderful QT/Hospital containers and you can't beat the price.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #10 
Caliban

My heaters are 150 and 200 watt, but this sounds like a plan, and with the two heaters, I can try to super bake the ick out of the tank at the same time. I actually have a container about the size of a shoebox that I might be able to get him into tonight tomorrow morning.