Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #1 
OliviaTree

Cory cat problem dying!!

He was housing with my betta who died today along with two glofish. He is dying now as well. He was floating at the top a lot and swimming on his side. Now he is not moving at all. All the water tested fine. He is motionless, but still breathing. I dont know what to do.. I though he was dead because he was floating upside down, but when I was going to take him out noticed he is still breathing. I don't know if he is sensitive to the water change, because I need to know if I should seperate him from the filtering heated tank or let him die with the other fish that are still living in the tank.

He's dead.. :(

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
OliviaTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 
Adastra

Filling this out may help us nail down a possible cause and suggestions we can offer you to help prevent this from happening again: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It's best to copy and paste the form into your post and fill in the answers that way.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Wait, were all of those in the same tank..?

As Ada asked, please fill out that form so we can try to see what may have happened in your tank.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #4 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Hows the water quality? Clear? Cloudy? Green? Brown? How long have oyu had the corys? What food do you feed them?
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 
OliviaTree

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? ghost shrimp, glofish, betta, cory cats (and somehow a snail was put in there. He snuck in with the bamboo.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? fd bloodworm, fd brine shrimp (Hikari), and Aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day ( 1 pellet 3 times a day sometimes)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? He is new so he was switched intoa 1 gal at first then I bought a 10 gallon the next day.. then I have to do a 50% water change due to acidic ph and foggy water.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% now, but 50% day of death
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia: safe (.02ppm)
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.2-6.8 (acidic to neutral) on day of dath now is 6.8-7.2 (neutral)
Hardness: safe but soft on day of death. I think it was 25-75
Alkalinity: was between 40-80.. now it is ideal-high 180-300

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? it looked the same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he was swimming on his side and acting less active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? same day of death (yesterday)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no. I did add 1/6 of what Is said to add of aquarium salt.( 1 teaspoon Later found out that it is not safe to add it to cory cats so I did a 30% water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of. He was fairly new
How old is your fish (approximately)? I only had him 3 days but he was grown.

I think the salt may have been the problem. Should I have taken him out until I had the water changed completely?

I still have the ghostshrimp, 4 glofish, and an albino cory cat which are acting fine. All the water is testing fine still, but it is still looking foggy. I was told it could be since it is a new filter, but it has been like that for 2 days now, The fish are still in the water.. do I need to change anything?

Here is what the tank looked like yesterday:

Last edited by OliviaTree; 10-27-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #6 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Do a 50% water change, before you add the water use some water conditioner on it. Thats mostly just for the cloudy water. And im not sure where you heard from, but its fine to have aquarium salt in a tank with cory cats, ive been doing that fro quite a long while and there have never been any ill side effects. Unless you added too much.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #7 
OliviaTree

Seeing how they are fairly new.. so is the tank. To be honest I was quite ignorant to the fact that I need to run the tank for a few weeks before adding the fish. I think this is the reason they died. They are still in the tank and it hasn't really had a chance to build good bacteria. Should I still do the 50% water change. They probably died because I added them all at once. Except for the betta who was in there a day before ..and in the one gallon 2 days before. I was also told to hold the food.. so they haven't been fed since last morning. what do you think? Should I feed them today? If not, how long should I hold the food.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #8 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Sorry about that, i had to find all the keys to the keyboard after facedesking on my laptop.

Okay, heres what you do, go to the petstore, buy some nutrafin cycle, now heres where it gets iffy, dont over do anything and read directions carefully. If your using a carbon filter take it out, and if you can, fasten a coffee filter to the filter so it gets gunk out. Add some aquarium salt at about helf the amount the box says for your aquarium size, do water changes, about 25% everyday, if you have a gravel vacuum use it to get gunk out of the gravel. Im flying blind right now since ive nee vr had to deal with fish dying from a new tank, but unless someone else had a better idea go with mine. Also keep up with the plant grooming, get rid of dead leaves and foliage.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
OliviaTree

Thank you, thank you! I will try this. How long should I keep the filter out? Is a carbon filter bad?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #10 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Dont leave it out, just replace the actual filter cartridge with a coffee filter. The carbon is great, but it sucks out quite a lot from the water. What the carbon would to is equivalent to what water changing does, but the carbon somewhat sterilizes the water that comes out of it, similar to medical carbon. You see, carbon was a huge surface area, i think one teaspoon of carbon has the same surface area as a football field, which is why a lot of hospitals use it for people who swallow poisons and whatnot. You can keep the carbon in, but it makes some medical treatments for fish harder since the carbon will kill the medicine.