Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 
Posaune

Velvet?

Ok, so one of my bettas has an orange area on his right side gill. I'll upload a picture I took of him.

Is it velvet? If so, is it contagious? and how do I treat him? I do have snails in the tank, but I can take them out and put them into a 1 or 1.5 gallon (not sure what it is) tank I have in my room (it houses little pond snails). I have been having problems with ammonia lately (i'll do another test today, I"ve been adding ammolock and doing water changes, I do have 2 filters I recentgly put in.)
He hasn't been itching against anything, appetite has been normal, I just noticed the color now.
For medications, I have Rid Ich by Kordon, Pimafix, and Melafix. I also have aquarium salt.

Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2 
Posaune

I'm thinking it might be the snails I got recently, sending the tank over. I have 4 apple snails in a split ten gallon. I'm thinking I'll take 2 or 3 home next weekend and put them in my 55 gallon tank. What do you guys think regarding that?

The ammonia test came back high again, green colored. Gonna add some more ammolock in.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 
Adastra

First of all, velvet will not make his gill flap orange--it is likely that that coloration is a stress response. Velvet looks like crusty, yellow granules in between the scales of the fish and scattered all across the body. It will not be in one place only and it does not cover the area to the point that it changes color like that.

I would skip the ammonia-altering chemicals and do a large water change--at least 50%. He does not need any medication or treatment other than consistently clean water.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #4 
Posaune

ok thanks :) I'll do that tomorrow