Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1 
TaylorW

Fin Curling?

Is fin curling a problem? Victor's fins have been curled up since I bought him from the pet store, and they've improved a bit, but they are still curled. I've had him for over a month and a half and I thought clean water would make them uncurl, but to no avail. I change the water in my 2.5 every 2-3 days, so I don't think my water quality is bad. Is it normal for some bettas fins to stay curled? Or is this a consequence of him being left in such a small bowl at the pet store for so long? A little advice is appreciated. Thanks!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 
Capricorn

Fin curling is usually caused by poor water conditions, like you would find in a pet store cup. There may be days where it looks better, but I don't think you can ever fully fix it.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 
TaylorW

So is this damage from his poor life in a pet store cup for so long? I think he was one of the biggest and oldest bettas.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 
Capricorn

Yeah, most likely that's where the damage came from. It shouldn't affect his ability to swim at all, it's mostly just an aesthetic thing.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Aww, my poor Victor! I'm glad I rescued him from his tiny bowl, he could have ended up with more fin damage! I don't care how he looks, I was just worried that this was a health problem since it wasn't getting any better. I'm glad to know it just makes him look funny and that he'll still live a long and happy life. Thanks Capricorn!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #6 
Capricorn

Not a problem. (:
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #7 
peaches3221

My boy Lonnie had slightly curled fins since I got him. It doesn't bother me one bit! of course I feel sorry for him that he was in such bad conditions at PetSmart, but I think he's still pretty and I love him just as much as if he had perfect show quality fins! the best thing you can do for your betta is to keep the water VERY clean, maybe put him in a one gallon bowl (with the top covered) and do 100% daily water changes, maybe even add some aquarium salt...and see if that helps. but there is probably not much you can do. the good news is that as your water is not causing the problem (unless the curling is getting worse) he will live a perfectly happy and healthy life. It was good you rescued Victor; if his fins were damaged, most likely from ammonia building up in the water (which happens VERY quickly in the tiny cups most pet stores sell bettas in) his delicate gills may have gotten ammonia burns too, which is worse than some fin curling!

Last edited by peaches3221; 10-27-2010 at 08:47 PM.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #8 
TaylorW

I love Victor to death, he's my little study buddy, he sits in the same corner of his tank (the corner that's closest to me) and watches me constantly! He's very curious and always has to investigate anything new outside his tank! I feel sorry for the poor guy though, since he's quite big and has a bit of an attitude, it's possible he might be old and could have been in that bowl for awhile.

His fins have been getting better, I actually thought they grew longer after I had him for a week or two! It was that dramatic of a change. But his fins have stopped getting better, so I wonder if he's been left disfigured. I could care less what he looks like, I would just hate it if poor treatment left him permanently damaged... Poor little guy :(

What does gill damage look like? Would I have noticed it if he had any problems with his gills?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #9 
peaches3221

what I meant was it's good you got him out of the dirty cup because his fins would have gotten worse, and the poor water quality would have made him sick. you don't need to worry about Victor now that he is in clean water!

Last edited by peaches3221; 10-28-2010 at 07:52 AM.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #10 
Ajones108

You would usually notice if he has any gill damage. I wouldn't worry about it if he looks like he is breathing normally, and if he flares the back sides of his gills, on the inside, are a healthy pink.

I just bought a double-tail betta from PetCo and he was one of the largest ones there. Since he was in his cup from so long his body is slightly disfigured since he had to swim differently with his large finneage. He's in my 5g now and looks better but you can still see the damage done to him.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote