Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #1 
Capricorn

On approaching people in public.

I've seen a lot of users say that they wish they had had the courage to tell someone to get a larger tank or to complain to someone over the conditions that the fish are kept in. I work in a job that deals with people every day, so I thought I would share some tips with you all on communicating to people that you do not know.

1. Keep yourself calm. I realize talking to strangers or people that are older than you can be scary, but if you keep calm and are polite, they should be more than happy to listen to you.
  2. Be polite. If you start of with a "hello" or "oh, do you have a betta?" you're much more likely to get a good reaction than if you were to say "don't buy that, you're going to kill your fish". If your first impression to this person is that of a polite young boy/girl or a kind adult, this person will probably take you more seriously.
  3. Don't overwhelm them. Start slow, explain things such as larger tank size, heating, and water quality. If you tell too much at once, they may listen to you but get confused or not follow your advice.
  4. Use yourself as an example. When I've talked to people I don't know about my fish, I tell them about how I brought home Nettle and how he follows my fingers in the tank now, how healthy and active he is, etc. I've found that if they realize your fish are healthy, they may be more inclined to follow your advice.
  5. Direct them to the website. "bettafish.com" is a very easy URL to remember. Tell them that the members here are willing to offer help and that there is tons of information available to them without even having to sign up.
  6. Above all, don't let yourself get flustered. I know it's very frustrating when someone doesn't want to listen to you. However, getting angry or pestering them can be even worse than simply walking away. Some people just don't want to listen to anyone else, so you're better off just moving on to help someone else out.

For dealing with pet store employees, I find that there is really one major thing to remember.

• Be polite.
Yelling isn't going to get you anywhere, remember that. If you're telling an employee or manager about poor conditions, you can show that you are upset by it, but do not resort to yelling or cursing at them, no matter how mad you are. We want to come across as people who care about the animal's health, not a bunch of raving lunatics.

When in doubt, just offer a friendly "hello" and maybe a bit of advice. The worst they can say is no, right?

Hope there was something useful in here for you guys. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Thanks Capricorn!

I am super SUPER shy.
But as I have gotten older I have no problem telling people what I think when it comes to things that matter to me. BUT.. I usually come across as a little rude sometimes.. hehe.
So I will definetly put this to use on maybe having people listen MORE.. and I will apply it to areas other than Bettas in my life too.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #3 
peaches3221

A lady at petco was buying a 1/2 gallon bowl for a betta... I told her the fish might jump and showed her the critter keepers but she wouldn't listen... and one time at walmart I saw a girl maybe around 20 holding a cup with a betta in it, so I say "oh your buyin a betta?" and she says no this is a japanese fighting fish" and I'm like "you mean siamese fighting fish and she says "no this is a japanese fighting fish"
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
A lady at petco was buying a 1/2 gallon bowl for a betta... I told her the fish might jump and showed her the critter keepers but she wouldn't listen... and one time at walmart I saw a girl maybe around 20 holding a cup with a betta in it, so I say "oh your buyin a betta?" and she says no this is a japanese fighting fish" and I'm like "you mean siamese fighting fish and she says "no this is a japanese fighting fish"
Bwhahaha this cracked me up.
I was just at walmart yesterday by the Bettas, and they had about 9 and only two were males. I told my boyfriend we could go get the groceries now because I didnt want a female, and the girl beside me tried to tell me they were all boys, the other Bettas were just a different kind... yeah, whatever. lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Ive had to start taking a sharpie to Walmart and writing "Plakat Male" on the cups.... ;)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Ive had to start taking a sharpie to Walmart and writing "Plakat Male" on the cups.... ;)
That would be helpful. =]
The ones at my walmart were definetly all female though.

If walmart knew they had different kinds of bettas besides crowntails and veils, I think they would charge more.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 
Jayy

Thanks for the advice!!! I've done this once with a lady and talked her into finding her old 10gal instead of buying a betta bowl. I don't know if she did,but she really listened to me.

Last edited by Jayy; 10-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 
BlueHaven

Great advice, i'm glad you posted it. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #9 
zelilaa

Some one should sticky this!
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #10 
Capricorn

Thanks guys, I'm glad you found something useful! This is mostly what I've gathered from my years of working with the public, I'm glad you guys see some things that are helpful. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote