Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 
ashleyy

Debating this option...

Hey everyone,
For Christmas I'm able to get a 5 gallon tank with hood, light, filter etc.

I have my betta now in a 2.5 gallon tank it is uncycled and unfiltered. I don't mind doing water changes and I always do them on time, and he seems to be doing great that way.

I guess I'm worried about cycling the tank and maybe taking too much water out when vacuuming (I'm a clean freak...) and crashing the cycle, and ultimately having him back in the 2.5 gallon again.

I honestly don't know what to do. With me being a clean freak and it totally bothering me knowing there could be little terds or pieces of food hidden in the gravel and me not being able to take the gravel out and rinse it would bother me sooooo bad.

What should I do? Suck it up and get him a bigger cycled tank? Or would it be best to keep him where he is?

Thank you everyone :]
<3
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #2 
Alex09

You could vacuum out 90% of your water and still not disturb your cycle. This is because the beneficial bacteria adheres to the filter, gravel, plants, and decor. Very little of it is actually floating around in the water. Your betta will really do better in a cycled tank. Much less stressful for him. Besides, Its not like you can see all the poo at the bottom, I cant...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #3 
dragonfair

If he's happy where he is and you don't mind doing water changes, why get another tank? Just curious...
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #4 
Alex09

Or you could not cycle it at all and do with the 5 gal what you're doing with the 2 gal.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I agree with dragonfair. If he is happy, and you are happy.. why bother with another tank? You can avoid the stress all together!

You could get a 5 gallon and you could not cycle and clean out the entire thing if you wanted. It'd be a lot easier to vacuum the gravel and all that, but I have a 5 gallon and it would be easy to dump if I wanted to.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #6 
ashleyy

I wanted to get him a bigger tank and the tank I'm looking at comes with a filter and all that. So I figured I would use it, you know.

What would be most beneficial for the Betta, besides from being stressed?
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

All Bettas are different, so it really depends on him. I mean, you could get the other tank put him in there, and he could HATE it. He might feel really secure in his tank now.

I myself would get the other tank. It really isn't that scary to mess with cycles, once you get the hang of it. =]

I have a 5 gallon set up now, I love it!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote