Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #1 
SwimmyTheBetta

My First Spawn

Today I am going to be spawning my first pair of bettas. Here's their pics:

First 2 pics are of the male, last pic is of the female.

They are both HM's I imported from Thailand. I currently have the female inside of a plastic container in the spawning tank and the male is just loose in the spawning tank. It is a 10 gallon tank filled to a depth of about 6 inches and I have 12 live plants in the tank along with a sponge filter, fully submersible heater, thermometer, and a large piece of driftwood. The female is already showing vertical bars and she is full of eggs. They are flaring at each other and doing their best to reach each other. My only concern is she bares her teeth at him like she's trying to take a chunk out of him. Is this normal spawning behavior since she does have vertical bars?

Thanks again for all the help and wish me luck!
SwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

OOOOH me like! Anyway yes she will try to get at him. I think she does it so she can break out of her container to spawn....and then wants to get back in when she gets a chunk out of her tail.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #3 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Wow, the female is just gorgeous! I bet they make very nice babies!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thanks for the posts! The female is still trying her best to reach him, and he has started working hard on his bubble nest. I'm hoping to put them together in about an hour or so. Wish me luck! :)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #5 
SwimmyTheBetta

Ok, I have had them together in the tank for about 2 hours now. They haven't spawned yet, but the male is working hard on his nest and they keep chasing and nipping at each other. I really don't want to remove the female since they haven't spawned yet, so would it be ok to leave them together unsupervised until the morning?

Thanks again :)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

If they are still nipping and chasing eachother I wouldnt leave them alone .. You will need to watch them to make sure they dont cause too much damage to eachother
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Actually Ive left extremely aggressive pairs together over night. Personally I dont mess with my pairs after I release the female.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #8 
SwimmyTheBetta

I left the female with the male overnight. They have been together almost 24 hours and haven't spawned yet. Every time the male tries to get her to do the mating dance, she just swims away and hides. Should I give them until the morning, or go ahead and spawn my back up female instead?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #9 
Bloodeath

Quote:
I left the female with the male overnight. They have been together almost 24 hours and haven't spawned yet. Every time the male tries to get her to do the mating dance, she just swims away and hides. Should I give them until the morning, or go ahead and spawn my back up female instead?
My first spawn took the pair about 72 hours together (Mostly unsupervised) to actually commit the dirty deed of spawning.
they just kinda flirted with each other the first 48 hours, and then he made his nest at the very last possible moment, and she finally understood "Hey theres a reason as to why this guy keeps running up to me and dancing then running back to this collection of bubbles at the top of the water" and alas they finially embraced.

But dont worry about missing out on the action, both of my spawns lasted about 2-4 hours each. (i mean the 2 betta embracing each other, and collecting eggs and putting them to the top, etc etc) so unless the decide to spawn at like midnight, you should absolutely fine.

And i wouldnt worry about minimal nipping, it will all heal, unless your boy or girl is taking out chunks, of fin (and i mean noticable, like a couple CM)
i mean if i was a guy betta and i sat there and danced and danced for a female and she never understood what i ment, i'd get a little upset myself, and considering male bettas are housed by themselves, its not like they have very cunning sociable skills to other fish.

EDIT: if you dont wanna read this wall of text this is for you: Leave them together until they spawn, because its not like they will instantly do it, only remove one of them if a serious chunk of fin has gotten taken out, (or any other serious injuries :P) and for the most part, just let them work it out, they will in time spawn, unless they seriously arnt ment for each other, but i'd imagine if theyve been housed in the same tank for over 24 hours and no serious problems, you'll be fine to let them be together till they spawn.

Last edited by Bloodeath; 10-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some nipping and chasing is normal. If it gets violent then they should be separated.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote