Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #1 
NEWBEE FISH

Melafix Question

so im trying to treat my boy (he's a VT) for tail rot. i have him in a 1/2 gallon QT tank. Im using API Melafix Here's the question the directions on the melafix say to 1tsp (5 ml) per 10 gallons and to daily dose him for 7 days after 7 days do a 25% water change. Since i have him in a 1/2 gallon QT tank wouldn't that be bad to keep him in the same water for 7 days? or will the melafix keep him safe? Anybody have experience with API Melafix? Thanks..
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #2 
eclover09

Ive heard melafix is way to strong for Bettas, even if its diluted. Your best bet would be aquarium salt, lots of people use that and I used it myself when my fish got tail rot and it fixed it up really well. If I remember correctly, it's 1 tsp for every gallon for ten days, 100% daily water changes and make sure the salt is completely dissolved before putting your fish in. Since you have a 1/2 gallon I would assume it would be 1/2 tsp instead of 1 tsp, not sure though.

Edit: You will want to check the water too, for ammonia and nitrate levels ect., for high ammonia levels is supposed to be one of the main causes for fin rot, it was in my case. The API liquid test kit works really well.

Last edited by eclover09; 10-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #3 
NEWBEE FISH

i been using aquarium salt for almost the last 2 weeks. my boy started biting himself then it got worst used the AS it got better but then worst now the salt doesn't do anything. My LPS has only API products.. i have the water testing kit everything is fine except for the fact that i have hard water...
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #4 
Adastra

If you know he is biting himself, you have to get to the root of the problem, or he will continue to bite. Most tail biters have a certain trigger that will set off their urge to bite. For some it is stress, for some it is boredom, and for others, well--it takes time to figure out. Each fish is an individual and they all have different things that set them off--the only blanket advice I can give you is to examine his living situation for sources of stress, such as temperature fluctuations, not enough decor to hide in, too much current, not enough swimming space, poor water quality, too much traffic around the tank, proximity to another betta or something resembling another betta, etc.

I have had two tail biters in the past--it took me weeks to figure out their triggers. For one, it was that he hated to be in total darkness at night. Once I added a dim light to the room at night, he stopped biting himself. The other did not like having two large caves in his tank. Once I removed one of them to free up more swimming space, he stopped biting himself. It just takes some careful trial and error--just try not to stress him out by changing a bunch of things around constantly.

Warm, clean water and a high protein diet should boost his immune system and help him build new fin tissue faster. He does not need melafix and many argue that the melaleuca in melafix is harmful to the betta's labyrinth organ--the organ that allows them to breathe air above the water's surface. Personally, I would not use it. It is merely an antiseptic and a healing agent--it is not magical, and it will do nothing that simple clean water cannot accomplish without putting your betta at risk.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #5 
NEWBEE FISH

i think i know why he started biting him self is early this month when i left on vacation he was in the dark (excluding what daylight came into my apartment) for five days... came home and i been trying to get his tail back to health. i thought i needed something else(medicine) cause i been battling this for 2 weeks since i notice the problem get good to bad to good now worst than ever.. tail starts to grow then gets completely worst than the day before... but if you say clean warm water and salt i will continue that you guys know more than me.. i just want him back to looking good.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #6 
Adastra

The medicine is probably adding to his stress level. He may have just bitten himself because you didn't feed him, I've seen that happen too. They get hungry and all of the sudden "tail" is on the menu. See how he does with clean water for awhile and maybe some new plants to hide in.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #7 
NEWBEE FISH

Ok i just started the medicine last night and this morning but after reading some more info on the forum about melafix and that it wasnt that necessary.. i had already notice a change in attitude and appetite in the morning.. i immediately change out his water and just put aquarium salt and i got a hydor mini heater in the QT tank... If nothing improves what am i doing wrong cause it seems like im going in circles with his condition
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #8 
Adastra

Well, if you think about it, you're doing a lot of changes at once. Medicine in, medicine out, adding salt, moving him to another tank, adding a heater, etc. He needs some stability, peace, and quiet to help him de-stress. It can be very difficult to know what is right--you want to be pro-active, but at the same time, doing too much all at once can exacerbate the problem. You have to try to strike a balance between wanting to try new things and keeping his stress level minimal. Try stretching out the changes gradually over the course of a week instead of throwing in all these new things at once.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #9 
NEWBEE FISH

OK i will do that... Thank You Adastra