Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #1 
dub shih

Unstoppable Fin Rot

My poor betta has been losing it's tail slowly but surely for a week.

I took my little guy out of the aquarium and put him in a plastic container w/ the heater set to around 80 degree F. I do daily water changes, add conditioner and salt.

I've been adding betta revive for a week to no avail.

The fish is still very hungry all the time and very aware, not lethargic at all.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. :(
dub shih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #2 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

You knwo the drill right? Fill out the form so we can better help you. I would also suggest that you put him back in the aquarium if hes the only one that uses it.
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #3 
peaches3221

alright first GET HIM OUT OF THE BETTA REVIVE! it's no good, what you need is aquarium salt NOT TABLE SALT and not the kind for marine (saltwater) aquariums. you can buy it at the grocery store sold as Kosher salt. use one teaspoon per gallon for no more than ten days. if needed, after another 10 days you can repeat the treatment.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #4 
dub shih

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
alright first GET HIM OUT OF THE BETTA REVIVE! it's no good, what you need is aquarium salt NOT TABLE SALT and not the kind for marine (saltwater) aquariums. you can buy it at the grocery store sold as Kosher salt. use one teaspoon per gallon for no more than ten days. if needed, after another 10 days you can repeat the treatment.
I should have been more specific. It is aquarium salt.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #5 
dub shih

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Gold Pellets, Frozen Daphnia, freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day.... fast for 1 whole day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: was .25 ppm... added live plant... now 0
Nitrite: was 0.... after plant 0
Nitrate: 25ppm before water change.... 0 now i think
pH: 8
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lighter colored, stress stripes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After i moved him to the plastic holder
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with betta revive
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know... brand new
How old is your fish (approximately)? 9 Months?

--------------

I figured this information is null and void since my betta has been out of the fish tank for over a week and a half and I've been doing daily water changes for him.

Any ideas?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #6 
Adastra

Can you post a picture of him? Many of the bettas we see here that have been described as having "fin rot" actually do not have it at all. Due to overbreeding, stress, and their confinement in small spaces, many bettas develop destructive neurotic behaviors. This is similar to dogs and cats that have been in a kennel too long without stimulation--many of them overgroom themselves and walk in circles compulsively. Bettas do the same thing, in the form of glass surfing, neurotically swimming back and forth across the same area over and over, and tail biting--self mutilation of the fins. If the fins are ragged, tattered, and uneven, it's likely that the fish has been biting himself. Many owners never see their fish do this because their presence is usually enough of a distraction to stop them from doing it.

Fin rot, on the other hand, usually originates from ammonia burns on the delicate, thin tissue on the edges of the fins. The burns caused by the ammonia develop a secondary infection--fin rot--which turns the edge of the fin black, gray, and crusty or fuzzy. The edges are usually smooth and the infection usually moves quite slowly.

Wounds inflicted by the fish biting himself can be infected with fin rot, too, although if you're keeping your water clean and doing proper maintenance, it shouldn't happen. Look for the dark coloration on the edge of the fin to determine if he is actually infected. Clear or whitish edges are a good thing--new fin tissue often comes in clear or whitish and colors up later.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote