Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #1 
ma3lstrom13

Plants

I got an umbrella plant from PetCo. That is all it was labeled and I can't really find much info on it. One site said that it was not a true aquatic plant. Can anyone help me out? I've moved it out of the tank for now. I don't want it to poison my betta =(.
ma3lstrom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry..its non-aquatic, good that you removed it-just a matter of time before it will start to rot and foul the water.....its really sad that petco still does this....most of the plants in the tube are non-aquatic and even some of the plants they have in tanks are non-aquatic too...like the mondo grass-it will last several months under water-but pull it up and look at its root...stinky mush that is slowly fouling the water......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #3 
cballas

Ya sorry they scammed you! They really need to stop selling those tube plants...What a rip off.

Go to a small local fish store (non chain), and pick up a low light requirement plant.
I didn't know anything about the ones I bought, just that they were true aquatic & looked healthy,
and not ONE has died on me. This pretty grass plant was like $5 for 3. :) Aquatic plants rule.

PS - I just stuck mine right into my gravel, no special substrate needed. Amazed they grew so much!
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 
Capricorn

The key with petco plants is to know the scientific name of what you're looking for.. I have several healthy java ferns from the tubes. You should probably look to see what good low-light or beginner plants are, and then see if you can match the scientific name to one on the package.

You can also order them online, I know several members do that.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote