Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #1 
dampsugar

just starting out with new aquarium....have a few questions

I just got a 10 gallon aquarium and put two live plants in it along with some gravel substrate.

I let it cycle for a day and then went and bought a crowntail betta. I have a few questions as I am new to the whole fishkeeping thing.

I read elsewhere online that bettas are hardy fish. And also that they do not like a lot of current in their tanks due to their fins getting caught and torn. I also read not to put many things with holes in them as that may also tear their fins.....oh and jagged or sharp things too.

Anyway, I put my new crowntail betta in the tank this afternoon and at first he was swimming around but now he is just kinda floating around. Its Midnight so the light is off on the tank. Is it normal behavior for a betta to just kinda float around?

Also, I have a filter on the tank.....Is this too much current for my betta?

Thanks again to anyone who can help me with this matter.
dampsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

Hello and Welcome..
Can you answer these questions please..?
Do you currently have a heater for the tank..?
Did you use water conditionar when you set up the tank...?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #3 
dampsugar

I have a water heater for the tank but I have not put it in yet as I need a surge protector because I have ran out of electrical sockets.

The water temperature is currently at 78 degrees though.

I did use water conditioner when I first set it up yesterday.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

OKay.. What type of food are you feeding? And the sooner you get the heater into the tank..The sooner your guy will perk up..The water temp should be around 80degress. Do you have any decor in the tank other then the live plants? And what type of filter are you using..? If it has a power option..It will need to be on medium.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #5 
dampsugar

I gave him tropical fish flakes when I got him this afternoon but my cat ate all his food before. Now all I have is goldfish flakes. As for decor I have 2 live plants and one plastic hollowed out log with a big enough hole for him to swim through without tearing his fins. I have an aqueon 10 gallon filter.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Okay.. Well.. You will need to buy Pellet formed Betta Food. I prefer Hikari or Wardley brands. You can find them both at your local pet stores.. But you never want to feed flake foods. They are low in protein and can be harmful to Bettas. You can also look into guying Freeze Dried Bloodworms.. Do you know how much to feed your Betta?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #7 
dampsugar

No not really.....I assumed a pinch of flakes or 3-4 pellets morning and night. Any advice on this will be great
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

OKay.. In feeding pellets... You should feed 3 pellets 6 days of every week..and fast your Betta for 1 day of every week (you can fast an extra day if needed) You can feed your Bettas anytime of day, you dont have to follow the morning and night rule.. Also.. If you want to give a bloodworm as a treat...Just replace however many pellets given with bloodworms.. I highly recommend pellet formed Betta food!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #9 
dampsugar

Thank you for that bit of information....I have learned that I really dont know a whole lot about bettas or fish in general. Is it normal for a betta to hide a lot or be inactive while he gets used to his new habitat?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

Yes. Very nuch so normal.. He will come around.. Also.. You can add more decor if you would like, ot will also provide more hiding places which will help his confidence level. Just be sure that it isnt sharpe or pointy..Nothing that could damage his fins..