Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 
BurnishedOchre

Question Bettas need 20g long tanks??

I heard from a person online when asking about my betta's fin issues that

"3 gallons is normally not a comfortable size for those fish however, they're rather tolerant of small enclosure. Ideal size would be 20 gal long, their territory can expand upward to mile in wilderness. There was a previous experiment conducted in one of freshwater lake in USA which they dropped 2 male bettas at each end, approx. 5 miles away and they found each other next day- one died after fight but conceptually you would know their range."

O.O Has anyone else heard of this?
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #2 
Adastra

Ideally, yeah it would be great if you had a 20 long to devote to a betta. They would be healthier, would not have trouble with obesity, would have more environmental enrichment, more stability in their environment. One of the most long-lived bettas on record lived to be 15 years old in a 20 long by himself. I believe the owner's secret was that he chased the fish around with a stick daily for exercise. Obesity and lack of environmental enrichment contribute to longevity and quality of life.

Personally, I keep my rosetails in 3G cycled tanks. I don't think they would utilize a larger tank due to the weight of their tails and their inability to withstand currents from filters. I do have a plakat, though, that I keep in my 29G with some peaceful community fish. He seems as happy as a clam and I am thankful I have the resources to allow him to live in a larger tank.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #3 
Ajones108

I agree with Adastra.

As for your source of information, however, the lack of proper grammar and sentence structure tells me that it might not be a very reliable source. It also didn't include the exact details to the experiment. Altogether it seemed lacking.

A betta can comfortably live in 2.5 gallons at minimum. 3 gallons is ideal. A 20g long would be fantastic for their overall life, yes, but if you don't have the space or money means, not necessary.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fish, health, size, tank