Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #1 
wystearya

Marble colored Bettas ..?

Do they always end up loosing their color? I've seen some lovely ones on Aquabid, but if they end up loosing their color and becoming all white then I wouldn't (personally) want to buy one.

I'm just curious because someday I would like to get a Betta from somewhere other than a chain pet store, so that I could get something very pretty and hopefully raised in better conditions.

I love the colors and patterns some marble colored Bettas have. :) But, if they turn pure white with age I'll know that is a color pattern to avoid.

Thanks!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

That's a total myth. It's almost impossible to tell what they will end up as. My marble HM ended up completely blue.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #3 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
That's a total myth. It's almost impossible to tell what they will end up as. My marble HM ended up completely blue.

Neat! Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to know it's a myth. :)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Marble bettas are like a box of chocolate...you never know what you're gonna get. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 
Adastra

Most of them end up marbling out (turning cellophane) or unmarbling (turning solid or bicolored). I have had a few, and the majority have ended up becoming unmarbles. For the most part, they complete their most dramatic changes when they hit maturity. My oldest marble betta, who started out almost all white with a tiny bit of black and blue turned out solid steel blue over black, however, he is still making small changes, some areas gain or lose metallic still, even though he is almost 3 years old now. I don't expect him to make any significant changes for the rest of his life, but the fact that he is even still changing slightly is something I find surprising.

Here's an interesting article that explains the marble gene: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #6 
lilyrazen

Some change forever. Ive had two marbles, one is with my friend. Both are about a year old, a little over, and theyre really pretty. Jazz, who's currently sick, was blue, then deep purple, then lavender, then hot pink, and is now a blue purple with a little white.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 
brandonwlee

changing colour from time to time is the marbling effect of the marble gene. some changes colour of their patches rapidly and others slower and lesser, anyway if you have a 'marble' betta that never changes colour, chances are that particular betta is a bicolour or multicolour type. some breeders find marble interesting and others hated them!
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #8 
bettabug

mine wa cream bodied and burgundied finned, and she might be ending up as black and blue. and yes, dramaqueen, they are so much like a box of chocolate! :)
bettabug is offline   Reply With Quote