Betta Fish Forum banner

Well "the one" finally found me!

964 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dragonfair 
#1 ·
So last night I did my usual fish store run looking at bettas, and one finally got me. :-D
I was really torn between him and this gorgeous double veil, but this one was just giivng me that face..
He isn't quite liking his home yet, I have been leaving the light off because as soon as it clicks on he goes crazy, so he just gets the light from the rest of the room for now. might have to buy a background for the tank, which I hate. I like no backgrounds. :-(
ANYWAYS..
Here he is. Not the best quality pictures but he doesnt hold still and haven't found the best setting on my camera for aquarium pictures yet.

I had a million names picked out, but I hadnt planned on getting a red colored one, so none of the names fit.
So his name is Mr. Ellis Miyagi. Miyagi from karate kid obviously, and Ellis is who I play in Left 4 Dead 2.

His colors have changed some already, is that pretty normal?
At the store he seemed to have a copper-y color on the red, but it looked kinda blue. Not that is really copper-y and he has some blue lines on his fins.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
He's quite a looker! Bettas colors sometimes from the pet store to home because their settling in their new tank. Which is when they show their true colors. His colors may also change because of lighting.

#5 ·
I was really torn between him and this gorgeous double veil, but this one was just giivng me that face..
Isn't that always the way it is. Like destiny...

He's beautiful - can't wait to see how his colors end up when he is settled in and happy! All of mine have either darkened their colors or added colors out of nowhere. Weird!

#6 ·
Well I can't wait till he's more settled to see his true colors then. I hope he stays about the same, when the lights off he seems more blue, and I like the copper-y color A LOT.

Thanks guys!

#7 ·
bah i has that heater, and i hate it. works great for like a month or 2, then all the sudden your temp drops to 72.................Fail.

the heater not you. xD

Hes a really pretty fish, and i love the gravel, how its black with a few neon rocks in it.

He'll color up from good food and good care, thats normal, and quite a good thing.

and he might be going crazy because the tank is showing a reflection when the light turns on for whatever reason, and is making your betta go into defense mode.

#8 ·
Bwhahaha, well atleast it'll work for 2 months hopefully then. It was only $12 so I can deal with that. I will buy a nicer heater eventually. I would like an adjustable one.

Thanks, I ALMOST didn;t get those rocks. I really like natural tanks.. but I couldn't resist.

I am going to add a background I think, maybe chnage the type of light. and see if that helps. Although he seems a lot more calm when I got home tonight.

#11 ·
Congrats on your new addition! He's very pretty. I'm not really a big fan of those tacky picture-backgrounds either--but it actually looks quite nice if you put some double sided tape around the top and bottom of the rear of the tank and attach some dark fabric--it hides all the wires and helps the filter intake and the heater blend in so they look much less obtrusive. I have a navy blue piece of scrap fabric behind my community tank and a dark brown scrap fabric behind my planted betta tanks because I figured brown would be more fitting with the blackwater environment bettas come from. Their water is brown from IAL anyway, lol.

But yeah, colored fabric remnants make great backgrounds since they don't reflect light like shiny paper and they don't wrinkle or bubble up or deteriorate when they get wet. Just remember to iron it before you tape it to the tank.

#12 ·
Congrats on your new addition! He's very pretty. I'm not really a big fan of those tacky picture-backgrounds either--but it actually looks quite nice if you put some double sided tape around the top and bottom of the rear of the tank and attach some dark fabric--it hides all the wires and helps the filter intake and the heater blend in so they look much less obtrusive. I have a navy blue piece of scrap fabric behind my community tank and a dark brown scrap fabric behind my planted betta tanks because I figured brown would be more fitting with the blackwater environment bettas come from. Their water is brown from IAL anyway, lol.

But yeah, colored fabric remnants make great backgrounds since they don't reflect light like shiny paper and they don't wrinkle or bubble up or deteriorate when they get wet. Just remember to iron it before you tape it to the tank.
That is a greta idea! Thank you. I am going to do that today when I get home. :-D

#13 ·
He's handsome! Love his bright greens. Mind posting a picture of the fabric BG if you put it up?

#14 ·
I will definetly take a picture once my new betta is more aquainted with my tank. Ellis died over the weekend, and now I am super worried. I think Ellis wasnt very healthy from the start though. =[
my new betta is already zipping all over the tank, resting on the plants, flaring at every little thing, mainly the thermometer.. lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.