Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #1 
rubyfire

Lightbulb Noodle water?

In Nutrition class the other day I learned that you should save the water you cook your noodles in for your indoor plants because of the nutrients the 'noodle water' would provide for the plant.
Well this got me thinking "What if I put some in a fish tank with live plants? Would it be safe for the fish? Would it provide nutrients for your aquatic plants like it does for non-aquatic plants?"
I just cant get those thoughts out of my head.
So now I'm wondering "What do you guys think?"
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 AM   #2 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I dont know about the plants in the tank, but thanks for teaching me something new! I think I will start watering my verrry few indoor plants this way. I tend to kill plants. heh.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #3 
ashleyy

I would imagine it was end up fouling the water and maybe making it smell a little. But I'm just guessing. That is pretty neat though :]
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #4 
Alex09

Im not sure If anyone here uses coffee machines but using coffee grounds is an AMAZING fertilizer for house plants. Our plants get huge shiny waxy leaves with that stuff. But because of the caffeine, I dont think its aquarium safe. You dont want a hyper fish :P

Not sure about the noodle juice either. I dont see why it wouldnt be safe but idk.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #5 
rubyfire

Lol your welcome LikeDiscoSuperfly

I cant see why it would be harmfull for the fish either but idk too.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #6 
dragonfair

Neat idea for house plants but (and I could be wrong as I don't have planted tanks) wouldn't it foul the water for the fish more than it would benefit the plants?
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I think the noodle water would foul and cloud the tank water and I would not recommend using it with aquariums......I like to use my aquarium water for my house plants...never thought to use noddle water for them......let us know how that works out.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #8 
Adastra

Oh yeah, I definitely use fish water from water changes for my plants. Fish poop is awesome fertilizer, especially if you keep goldfish. It's the basis for a relatively new growing technique called aquaponics--you should read about it sometime. Very cool.

I definitely would not put noodle water in a fish tank--it would just foul the water. The plants would enjoy the shot of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate that might cause, but your fish surely would not.

As for the coffee grounds thing, I hear it is great for some plants acid-loving plants like azaleas, tomatoes, and rhododendrons, but you can overdose on them and not all plants enjoy the high acid content. Often it can make plants grow bigger, but not flower or fruit well--so it's best to use them sparingly.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #9 
Alex09

I have been tossing the extra water from my 10 gal (50% weekly changes) into one of the small orange trees we have in the backyard. You can already notice a difference between that tree and the tree a few yards away. As for the coffee grounds, I know that our Devils Ivy and Roses love it. Gonna have to tell my mom to use it on tomatoes next time we plant them.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #10 
rubyfire

Well it was just a thought...and now that I think about it more it would probalbly foul up the water more than anything. O well :P