Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #11 
Adastra

Very thoughtful, but I don't know if I'd put the burden of changing 100% of the water every two days on your niece if she's never had fish before--that might be kind of iffy, especially if she's young. You could sell it on craigslist or kijiji to a responsible adult or return it, though! I would return it so that the pet store doesn't profit from their bad advice, but I'm just spiteful, lol.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #12 
acloudconnected

Would Petsmart take it back? It's been used and assembled already. Niece is 17 and super responsible, but I can see your point.
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #13 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acloudconnected View Post
It kind of scares me how the guys at my local pet stores keep giving me bad advice. Yesterday he was pushing the Bettafix as a cure-all. Today at a different store I was told that this was the ideal habitat for a Betta.
It is scary, isn't it?? I'm so glad that I found this site before I bought my fish!

I'm glad to hear that Red is feeling better! I hope your other fish gets better too! Oldfishlady and Adastra give GREAT advice, they've helped me out quite a bit Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #14 
Adastra

Oh, if she's 17 and understands the maintenance she needs to go through, then it shouldn't be too bad, I was worried she might be 13 or something. That's an age where your interests tend to wax and wane waaaay too much to be expected to devote frequent care to a delicate animal, y'know? If you stuff the thing full of live plants, it gives you a larger error margin in case something unexpected comes up you have to miss a water change. If you happen to have a pothos plant at your home or office, you can take a cutting of it and allow it to grow out of the water--it will help absorb some of the fish waste.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #15 
acloudconnected

Day 3 update on Red and Stumpy.

Did a 100% water change this morning, skipped the Bettafix and went instead with the aquarium salt option described elsewhere in this section of the forum. They seem OK, however Red now also has a slightly inflamed gill as his right one is now just slightly "open" where it was closed before. Stumpy's is as wide open as it has been since I brought him home.

Still haven't fed them, but since I don't know when last they ate at Walmart, I have decided to try them with some frozen brine tonight.

Other than Red's gill, the only other change I have noticed is that they both (mostly Red) have white tips to their "spikes" on their tail and top fin. Stumpy has them too, but they are smaller and not quite as obvious. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Photos:

1) Red body shot showing his slightly open gill.
2) Red white tipped spikes.
3) Stumpy body shot (SO CUTE! Kissing his reflection.)
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

It could be scar tissue from ammonia burns and not much can be done-usually the fish will be fine but it can shorten the life span some-I have seen some improvement with clean water and salt treatment but the scar tissues can inhibit gas exchange and the fish always seems distressed and gulping at the surface and tend to get secondary infection frequently due to stress.
Your fish look to be in pretty bad shape-it will take some time-like everything.........no magic pill or treatment...if you can get them to the 10 days mark they have a chance...good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #17 
acloudconnected

They've been very very still since the water change. Not a lot of movement at all, just hanging out near the top in one place. Is this normal with aquarium salt treated water? They were pretty active after yesterday's water change (Bettafix treated water). I guess it's been a couple (or more) days without food so maybe that also has something to do with it.

OFL, Thank you again for your reply. It breaks my heart that they are still showing new signs of their neglect. I am trying so hard not to get attached, but they're really special little dudes. Thank you for giving it to me straight.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and feed them and see if they will eat...did you find any mosquito larva...if so give them a rinse and toss in to them...it is amazing how live foods can perk a fish up and boost their immune response

Since you have already compromised Bettas to start-their reaction to the treatment is expected IMO/E-if you have any native oak trees near by that are free of pesticides etc....look on the ground and find some naturally dried leaves-rinse and add some to the water and steep some in the pre-mixed salt water...works like the Indian almond leaf and bettas love the tanned water....good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #19 
TaylorW

Aww, good luck with your little guys! I've been so worried about them! It looks like only time will tell how they will do, but know that with your love and care you've spared them of a horrible fate and now they'll have a chance! Keep up the great work, I'm rooting for you!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #20 
acloudconnected

We're close to an area with live oaks, however while I would guess they are pesticide free, I can't be 100% sure. Worth the risk though huh? Will see if my hubs is up for a drive to go and grab some today.

Excited to try the fresh food. No mosquito larva unfortunately, just frozen shrimp brine. I just put the tiniest clump of melted shrimp brine in their bowls and Stumpy lunged at it and devoured it all as fast as he could. Red was completely disinterested, so I removed it from his bowl after a few minutes. Might try again a bit later this evening.

@Taylor, thanks so much for continuing to check in. :)