Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #31 
acloudconnected

Thanks so much Celine, Effy and Doggy. I am really just doing what the experts on this forum are telling me to do and it's working! These ladies really know their stuff and I am so grateful to have found this site!
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #32 
TaylorW

Aww, the look like they're on the way to recovery!! I love how you keep us posted, I check in everyday! :) You're going to be a great fish owner, Red and Stumpy will be spoiled little buggers in no time! Thanks for giving them such great care and a second chance!! Keep up the good work! :) :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #33 
nomoretickets

Go with the rubber tubs and get a heater. they will love you for that.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #34 
JaspersANGEL

wow! this is my second time stalking this thread and as all the other's said: ur doing an excelent job of nursing those betta's back to life. Congrat's

Keep up the good work and keep us posted~
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #35 
acloudconnected

OH NO! Stumpy has been getting slower and slower as the day has gone one, and i just went to check on him and found him lying almost on his side at the bottom of the bowl. When I touched the bowl he moved again, and is now swimming around... but I can tell he's not himself today. Something happened since his water change this morning, he looked fine until then.

Suggestions? Should I change his water? Should I try and salt bath him? (Epsom or Aquarium?) He's been doing so well!!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #36 
acloudconnected

He also has some weird TINY bubbles attached to the ends of two of his tail rays. They've been there a few minutes and have not popped or fallen off with his movement. Only two, only on the tips of two rays so maybe nothing. His scales are looking a little rough again, but not pine-coney. And his belly is bloated again, even though he didn't really eat much this morning, and has pooped since last night. I have an Epsom salts bath ready and at bowl temp... think I am going to do that and another water change in his bowl... I think something is up with the water because he's been off since this morning.... please let me know if you can think of anything else!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #37 
acloudconnected

OK. I just bathed him in an Epsom salts mix for 4 minutes. While he was in there he spat out two or three mouthfuls of um... schmutz... it looked like his breakfast of this morning. Fish don't throw up do they?

Cleaned his bowl, but decided instead to use a Sterilite container since I did already have one around. I washed it out with super hot water, it was only used to hold light bulbs so it wasn't very dirty. I prepared a fresh batch of water, added aquarium salt and jungle start. He is in the sterilite bowl now so he is in shallow water, and can move around with ease.

Anything else I could/should be doing right now?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #38 
acloudconnected

Will pics help? Here are two taken minutes ago. One from above, and one of him at the bottom which is pretty much where he's been since I moved him to this new container.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #39 
Feral

Awwww, poor baby.... he looks like he's really been through hell on the half shell. That's one tough little guy to be hanging on in that shape!

I'm rooting for ya Stumpy!!!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #40 
acloudconnected

Thanks Feral, we appreciate it.

He's swimming slowly around the bowl, but when he stops his tail goes down and his head goes up so he is almost vertical. Then he sinks to the bottom. Once he's been still on the bottom for a second or two he curls into almost a C shape then shakes himself out of it and starts to swim again. This is the same cycle over and over...

He caught a glimpse of Red in the bowl next to him for a moment and flared up a storm. I didn't want him to overexert so I moved him and he stopped and resumed his lap around the bowl as described above.

He's had an S shape a lot since I've had him, but I assumed that was to do with the small cup he was in, both of them do this and then straighten. I have never seen him make this "C" shape with his body before though.

Last edited by acloudconnected; 11-01-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo