Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #1 
FishyFriend1

Fin rot! Help!

Hey guys,
I'm a new fish owner and i need some help.

So i have 1 betta fish and he is new. We brought home home from Petland about 6 days ago and got him set up. He is in a heated 5 gallon tank, had lots of weeds and a cave to hide in but he has developed fin rot.

We also tested his water levels and found HIGH levels of nitrate.We have two theroys on how he got fin rot.
A; he had since we got him from the store. Or
B; It is the high nitrate levels.

So we went over to Petsmart and asked about how to deal with it. The assistant asked how much food we are giving him and we told her that we fed him 2 times a day Once with betta flakes and once with frozen bloodworms. She disagreed completely. She said they should be fed once a week but i don't think i can watch the poor guy starve. I need some advice on how to deal with the fin rot (wich we bought meds for) and his feeding schedule.

Please help! FishyFriend1
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Hi! Can you answer these questions please? Thanks! :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #3 
TaylorW

I feed my fish twice a day, 2 pellets in the morning and another pellet or bloodworm each evening. Then I don't feed him all day every Saturday. Don't listen to the petstore people, they are dumb! :P
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #4 
FishyFriend1

Questions asked and answered

sorry I am not sure how this site works yet seeing as I'm new.

he is in a 5 gal tank which is heated at 80 degrees.
no filters or air providers.
all I know is that the nitrate is dangerously high.
scince he I new(4 days in my house) he hasn't had a water change yet. he was in a bowl for two days before the tank.
I noticed the tail rot yesterday(oct26th) and thought that it was torn but when I woke up many pieces of his tail and fin were gone.
after he heals, I plan on a 25% water change every 3-4 days.
I feed him flakes in the once in the morning and once in the afternoon around supper time.

I hopes this helps. I really am worried about him but I believe he will be fine. we are treating the water with some bacteria and fin rot killer stuff.

FishyFriend1
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #5 
TaylorW

If your 5 gallon isn't filtered, I don't think 25% water changes every 3-4 days would be enough. I'm not sure on that, because I only have smaller tanks, but it doesn't sound like enough without a filter. It would be a lot easier to filter your tank and get the nitrogen cycle going in a 5 gallon. There is a sticky thread somewhere here about cycling...give me a sec to find it.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #6 
TaylorW

Here you go! http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Cycling your tank would be a lot easier on you.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Check your source water (tap) for nitrates...what kind of testing product are you using? and what is the nitrate number?

Are you sure he is not tail biting????
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #8 
FishyFriend1

First, i want to apologize because he is in a 5 gallon tank with only 4 gallons of water in it.

Yes i am almost sure he is not biting his tail because he also spits out his food and sometimes swims around bumping into rocks and such. He is also bit discolored.

As for cycling the tank that is a major problem. Because we are medicating him we can't change th3e water for about 4 hours (it's 4:00 now)

The problem with the filter is that many people say that they prefer not to live with one, instead in still water. I also keep him in my room so i don't want to listen to his filter all night long.

So i am still at a bit of loss of what to do here.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #9 
Adastra

Well, first of all we need to determine whether or not it's actually fin rot. Lots of things can damage betta fins because they are so prone to tearing--many bite themselves in stressful situations, such as poor water quality. We typically never see it happen, even with chronic tail biters because our presence distracts them enough that they do not do it. The fish can also rip the tail on ornaments or rip it from flaring or swimming erratically.

Fin rot is simply a secondary infection that occurs when damaged fin tissue is exposed to unsanitary conditions. We see it most often in fish whose fins have been damaged by ammonia burns--the delicate thin tissue on the edges of the fins burns away and becomes infected. The edges are smooth, not tattered or ripped and the edge is black, gray, and crusty or fuzzy. Other tail injuries can be infected in the same way, but if the injured edges are the same color and texture as the rest of the fish, or they are clear or whitish, the fish does not have fin rot. New, healthy growth comes in clear or whitish and colors up later--lots of people mistake this for fin rot.

In any case, clean water, warm temps, and a high protein diet are all your fish needs to make a full recovery.

There are actually a lot of filter options out there that bettas don't seem to mind and that are completely silent. The Tom Rapids Mini-Canister is a very customizable low flow filter that is completely silent--I have to touch it sometimes to make sure it's on. Sponge filters are another great option--they work with an airpump and make very little noise and almost no current at all. Lots of nano tank kits, like the Marineland Eclipse line of tanks have hoods specially designed to minimize sound. I have three eclipse tanks and one storage bin with a mini-canister filter in my bedroom and I don't hear a thing. Seriously! Using a filter will greatly diminish the maintenance you'll have to perform on your tank and give your fish more environmental stability.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #10 
FishyFriend1

Yes i have the marine land 5 gallon hexagon eclipse tank and he loves it. Also i do believe it is fin rot just because i got him from petland about 5 days ago and they keep them in tiny 2 cup bowls. With a bowl that size and a store that busy i dare to wonder when they change their water. but he seems to have already made drastic improvement already so im keeping my fingers crossed.