Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #1 
Chopstick Chick

3 large marimo (not moss balls!) are on their way to my betta/shrimp tank!

I posted this over in aquarium plants, but It really fits here as well so I figured I'd post for the betta peoples!

Ijust ordered three 5cm marimo from a wholesale company in the UK which I plan to add to my (currently cycling) 5 gallon tank. I plan on adding a betta and a small community of either ghost or cherry shrimps (which I hope he won't eat ).
I have to confess that, as a Japanophile I have always wanted a marimo of my own. Now I will have three! ^_^

I am excited for them to get here, they will be my first additions to the tank, even before my fish get added. Everyone I've talked to online that has them says they are very easy to get attatched to, like having little algea ball pets. I guess because they move around the tank on their own sometimes, like little animals, and sink and float seemingly because they "choose" or "want" to do so. I know they are just plants, but I am very excited. I dare say I...I may name the marimo when they arrive .
These will also be my first live plants in any fish tank I've ever owned! Hooray! My first tentative steps towards the planted tank I eventually want to maintain some day. I look at the aquascapes with big stones, and drift wood rising gracefully out of underwater fields of javamoss and drool.
And you know as an added bonus they will keep my algea growth down to an almost non existant level, if what I read online about them is correct they are excellent little tank filters and three in a 5 gallon with the help of my shrimp and tank filter should keep the tank sparkling!

I know it's stupid to be so excited over balls of algea, but my first real hobby tank is coming together (plus I get to own an obscure, living piece of Japanese culture not many people have even heard of) so well I just want to jump for joy and finding these marimo were the icing on my fishy cake!

Last edited by Chopstick Chick; 10-29-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Chopstick Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #2 
ilovebunnies

That's pretty sweet! You'll have to take a picture and show us all.
If you like Japanese stuff you should check out Takashi Amano and iwagumi tanks online, they will make you drool...

Am I to assume that you are a big fan of manga and anime? ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #3 
Drift

I looked at buying some, but they're pretty pricey even ordering offline. =/ I have two medium moss balls in my 5 gallon now.
You should look into some other easier low maintenance plants like anubias nana, java fern, and java moss to get you started and on the road to planted tanks.
They also fit rather well in a 5 gallon tank without getting too big.
Can't wait to see some pictures when you they arrive and when you finally get your betta. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #4 
Chopstick Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
That's pretty sweet! You'll have to take a picture and show us all.
If you like Japanese stuff you should check out Takashi Amano and iwagumi tanks online, they will make you drool...

Am I to assume that you are a big fan of manga and anime? ;)
I LOVE his tanks! And I will be sure to post pictures when I get them. And yup I do ^_~
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #5 
TaylorW

I had no clue what a marimo ball was, but I googled it and now I really want one! I love it, you're so lucky to be getting some!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #6 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I had no clue what a marimo ball was, but I googled it and now I really want one! I love it, you're so lucky to be getting some!
I want one too! They look like comfortable cushions. Chopstick Chic's fish is lucky! x.x
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #7 
Posaune

Congrats on the plants, and the cake is a lie!
(I really need to get portal 2 o.o )
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #8 
dukie1346

Congrats :)

I got one of these balls from walmart a few weeks ago, and I think it's cute! It may only be a little green ball, but I like it.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 
Chopstick Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Congrats on the plants, and the cake is a lie!
(I really need to get portal 2 o.o )
Thank you! And I do too I just saw a demo at a game convention and it looks AMAZING!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick Chick View Post
I have to confess that, as a Japanophile I have always wanted a marimo of my own. Now I will have three! ^_^

finding these marimo were the icing on my fishy cake!
Negima! Reference?

Sorry. That's what popped to mind when I read your sentence and I had to post it! XD

Congrats on your marimo! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon tank, betta, marimo, not moss balls, shrimp