Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #1 
mm94305

Exclamation White patches and furry look

When I redid my tank about 2 weeks ago to remove some things that my mother finally admitted were dying all of my fish were fine. At the start of last week I noticed one of my cories not doing its normal thing which is just hanging out with the other 2 cories in the tank that and my snail was eating it. I removed the one that was now pronounced dead but i looked it over to see if anything i could see was wrong and all i saw was white patches that were furry. I was like ok.... well I haven't been seeing much of my cories since they lost that one but today i saw one of them and that one only. It is having trouble swimming and it too has that white patches all over it that are furry. I am going to remove him and put him in a kritter keeper by itself and go find the other cory that i have looked all over the tank without going in it to find it and i can't find it for anything. Is this ich because my betta is starting to have little white patches on his head but then again he has been rubbing himself on a new decoration in the tank.
mm94305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Okay, first off, get some aquarium salt, right now, log off, get on your bike or in your car, drive to the store, but some aquarium salt and jungle fugnus killer, and use it. Or wait for adastra or OFL or someone else to come along and say something else.
Lenalee Nilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 
mm94305

I do have 4 snails in the tank as well is it safe?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #4 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Just fill out the form the best you can, its stickied at the top of the Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies page.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #5 
mm94305

Oh right sorry about that. Mom picked up this lifeguard all in one treatment so i will give it a shot as well

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Under Gravel filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? a bubbler
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 cory 4 snails (snails removed for right now)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Flakes (i have tried to get him to eat the pellets but for like a week he wouldn't switch over let alone mom would go behind my back and feed him)
How often do you feed your betta fish? everday with a fasting day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week (mom won't allow anymore than that)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Little white spots on his head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? on a cory 2 weeks ago and i just lost the cory i mentioned in the first post. My last cory is being terrorized by my betta fish so i may have to remove the last one for time being.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? LifeGuard All in one treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unsure

Last edited by mm94305; 11-01-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #6 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

TO me it looks like youve got everything down, did you cycle the tank ebfore you put anything in it?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #7 
mm94305

When I first learned about cycling I had already put Levi my betta fish in the tank but i was going to remove him and keep him in his 1 gallon tank until I did the cycling on it but sadly i got sick and my mom got me the cories snails and plants for the tank without me really knowing. I had stayed home to rest. She put the cories in there while i was sleep. So no the tank is not cycled. I appreciate what she did for the tank though.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #8 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Try the best you can to keep up on water changes, twice a week i would say, every three or four days for the next few weeks, and buy some aquarium salt or epsom salt and use that im the aquarium too, k?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #9 
mm94305

Um i have a big carton and a big bag of both. I kept reading that they would help out the fish so I made sure to keep it on hand.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #10 
Lenalee Nilla
Banned

Have you added the salt to it according to the boxes measurements?

Tags
white patches furry