Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #1 
TaylorW

Plant help?

I've decided that I want to get some plants for my 2.5 gallon tank. It's unfiltered and un-cycled, so I was hoping to find some plants that I could add to my tank to help keep the water clean. Any suggestions?

Also, can the plants stay out of water for a day or two? Or at least in a bag or container with water for day or two? I'm home for the weekend and my tank's in my dorm at college. There are no pet stores near my college (just a walmart), so I have to pick up all my pet supplies when I come home.

I know nothing about aquatic plants, so all advice is appreciated! Thanks!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #2 
TaylorW

Sorry about this guys but....

*bump*
Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #3 
TaylorW

Ok, I've done some research. Will Java Fern, Dwarf Anubias, and Water Sprite work out ok? They seem rather low maintenance and don't need to be literally planted...
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Good choices on the plants and yes, they will be fine as long as you keep them wet-you can use a tub of water or keep them wrapped up in wet newspaper in a plastic bag-(that is how most plants are shipped)
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Thanks Oldfishlady! Does the water they are in for storage need to be de-chlorinated? And will Java Moss work well too? I'm trying to make a list because I'm not sure of what all my pet store has in stock.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It is best to dechlorinate the water- but bleach is a common product used to clean plants but it is short term. Too long and they may melt

Java fern or java moss are both great low light plants, also- naja grass (guppy grass), water wisteria, crypts, vals, Mexican oak leaf, hygrophila all good low light easy care plants
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Alright, I'll look for those! Thank you Oldfishlady! I'm hoping Victor will like real plants better than the fake ones he has Hopefully it will keep my water cleaner too!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #8 
TaylorW

So today I picked up a Java Fern, a sickly Marimo Ball, and a very small mystery plant that was attached to the Java Fern. He was a little freebie! ;)

My poor moss ball has a couple of brown spots on it, is it better to give it time to heal or just tear the ball apart to try to make mini-marimos out of the green part? I just wanted a Marimo really bad and I took pity on the poor thing,so i wanted to try to nurse it back to health.

As for the mystery plant and the Java, I'm hoping I planted them right, just sat them in the gravel with a little bit on top of the roots, but I left some of it exposed.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 
Alex09

I would just rubberband the fern to a rock if I were you. Makes it alot easier to move around when doing water changes :)
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #10 
TaylorW

That's a good idea! This fern is really big too, can I separate it into smaller plants?