Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 
fishgurl

Good Setup for Bettas?

Alright, so here in a few days I'm getting this wonderful terrarium that's currently set up for amphibians. It's a 29 gallon tank that has a shelf attached to the side, but has 8 gallons of water below that shelf. My room mate isn't sure if the fire belly toad that comes with it will hold my interest for every long or not, so I'm trying to make a "Plan B". I'm considering Bettas, probably a single male with a harem of two or three females. The tank comes with river rocks for the bottom, an intake filter, heater, air pump, and an exo terra dual power compact light fixture. It has a lot of plant life in it, mostly above water, but some below. I'm wondering if this would make an okay habitat or not should I decide to go this route instead of keeping with amphibians.

fishgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

Thats a great setup! It would be great for a better! But it would be good for hermit crabs as they like to go onto the land.
Also What is the white stuff holding up the land?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #3 
Adastra

A "harem" as you put it, would be a disastrous way of keeping bettas. The male would kill the females, or the females would kill the male and the females would likely end up hurting each other as well. It would be terrible in even the best environment, but this tank has very little water in it, so there aren't many places to hide or different areas to surfaces for air. If you wanted to make this a betta tank, it is only suitable for one betta. There just isn't enough places for females to hide from each other or establish territories in order for it to work as a sorority, and a "harem" situation just is a bad idea in general.

Hermit crabs would also do poorly in this situation--they are mostly terrestrial but like to be able to submerge in both fresh and marine water. This is not adequate for hermits.

I think you should do more research on fire-bellied toads and make sure this is adequate for keeping one or more. I don't know much about them, so I can't say one way or another whether this tank is good for them either. You should definitely do your research first.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Maybe you could keep just one betta in it and plant some pretty terrestrial plants on the land? Or maybe a frog or turtle would like that tank. I don't know much about reptiles or amphibians, so if you wanted to go that route you would have to do some research.

8 gallons isn't enough water for bettas to live peacefully without a divider. Not enough water for a school of fish and a betta either :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #5 
Adastra

Definitely not a turtle--aquatic turtles get to be platter-sized at adulthood and need ponds to thrive. Frogs and some newt species might work.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Thanks for correcting me on that Adastra! I was thinking there might be some small species of turtles that don't get very large
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #7 
Adastra

Yeah, lots of people don't realize that the 4" turtle at the pet shop turn into monsters. Many turtles unfortunately meet the consequences of this when they are illegally released into the wild or simply die from poor treatment. It's very sad.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #8 
Posaune

You could do fiddler crabs or other kinds of semi-terrestrial crabs. Hermit crabs wouldn't be good in that particular setup, they only need a small amount of water and their shells would be a huge hinderance in trying to get around the land area. If you chose semi terrestrial crabs, you would need a way for them to climb from the water onto the top part of the land, or from the lower part of land to the top part (for example, fiddler crabs need access to land to breath some oxygen, dry off, and do their funny little dances) I used to have fiddler crabs, but I didn't have a large enough tank to give them a really good home. (Maybe when my 55 gallon is free, I"ll transform that into an epic crab tank, not sure if I"d trust it to hold 55 gallons of water again :P)

Last edited by Posaune; 10-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #9 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I agree and think you should do some reasearch on frogs and just keep that in there. Or ask whoever is giving it to you, and you could sell it on CL, then use the money you make to buy a different tank if you are really wanting a betta.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #10 
scootshoot

That shelf looks sweet. Fill the tank up half way with water to expose the shelf. Place one male betta or minimum 3 female bettas not a combination of both. Buy yourself a fiddler crab as they don't like sitting in water all day and will bask on top of that shelf.

Very natural looking setup. Hope it works out for you

Last edited by scootshoot; 10-29-2010 at 03:03 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote