Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #11 
Adastra

Two females would not be a good idea. You should read our sticky on betta sororities when you get the chance--imposing a social environment on solitary, aggressive fish is very tricky and can very easily go wrong, especially if done improperly.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #12 
Jupiter

Apart from the fact that you can't keep males and female together, as already pointed out, you can't keep fiddler crabs in that set-up, either-they require brackish water.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #13 
fishgurl

I believe the white stuff holding up the shelf is an aquarium safe silicone, that's typically what's used I believe. As to whether or not the set up is currently fire belly suitable, since the person I'm purchasing from is an experienced amphibian owner I assume so, and it seems to comply with what I've read. I would appreciate, however, not having people jumping down my throat like I'm some kind of terrible person for asking a simple question. My room mate is an experienced fish owner and said that she's seen a male/harem combination before. I was curious, so I asked. My whole point of being here IS to do my research. I came to what I believed to be a forum of experienced owners who would, at the very least, be helpful to someone who wasn't as inexperienced. I've had bettas but I've only ever had one in a smaller cube at a time, I've never worked with something on this large of a scale. That said. For the people who didn't come across like a Catholic nun slapping my knuckles with a ruler for taking the Lord's name in vain, I greatly, greatly appreciate the advice. It was very helpful. To the people who came across like I said, you know maybe you should think about the way you're coming across to newbies. Because honestly, being snapped and snarled at is one hell of a turn off for any forum, let alone one that someone comes to for help and advice.

Now that I'm done sounding lmean and nasty, for interested people, the plants in this set up consist of two nepenthe plants (pitcher plants), a venus fly trap, which I'm told isn't doing so well, a sundew colony and some butterwort. Not sure what the misc. plants in there are, still waiting on the current owner to get back with me about that. I'm very fond of the set up as is, and I was simply looking for a possible alternative for the tank, if I decide that the fire belly toad simply isn't for me. I may go the route of newts or salamanders instead. The problem that I've noticed with most amphibians is that if you go amphibian there's very little you can do cross species, you're almost always limited to a single species tank. But that's alright. It's like I originally stated, at this point, I'm looking at possible options and trying to learn as much as I can so I can make an informed decision.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-30-2010 at 12:52 AM.
fishgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #14 
TaylorW

Please don't be so rude, we are all trying to help. You really need to calm down, everyone here was trying there best to help you. And I really don't appreciate being cussed at for no reason.

The average age for members of this website is 13, so I hope you feel great for yelling at children.

Go ahead, don't follow the advice on this forum if you don't want to, but don't complain if things go wrong with your fish.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #15 
fishgurl

Number one, I wasn't cussing, I don't believe I used a single obscenity in there at all. I just said that I don't appreciate having people screaming at me about doing research when that's exactly what I'm doing. Oh wait, I take it back, I called myself a name. It's been forever since I had a betta, I usually stay away from fish, but my room mate made the suggestion and I thought it was a feasible idea. I never once said I was discounting anyone's advice. In fact, I believe I thanked people for it. If I came across as being rude, it's not intentional. I'm a very blunt person, and I honestly felt a little bit like I was almost being attacked in some of these responses. Which, as it turns out, may have been a result of frustrations from work. As such::

I apologize. I realize that people are just trying to help out. I over reacted, which doesn't happen all that often. Today was a very, very long day culminating in an extra hour held over at work that I'm not even going to get paid for, inventorying a million (gross exaggeration) pieces of individual property. I'm leaning more towards newts or salamanders, probably salamanders, though I may stick with frogs. I've been reading that with newts, especially those that require a tropic environ, the tank gets really foggy and it's next to impossible to see into it because of humidity and you can't have openings in the top because the stealthy little ninja lizards will escape.

Last edited by fishgurl; 10-30-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #16 
rubyfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgurl View Post
you can't have openings in the top because the stealthy little ninja lizards will escape.
LoL had to laugh at that.

I'm glad your asking questions. Most people get the bettas and are like "there beating eachother up what do I do?"
Hope you'll ask more if you have any more questions about them. Bettas are fun to have. Even if you only have one
Let us know what you decide. (even if you don't go with a betta I'd like to see)
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #17 
fishgurl

I had a newt once before, really didn't know what I was getting into. I was very young, and for me, it was just a really cool lizard that I won at the fair. Poor thing ninja'd his way right out of his tank and my cat got him. I was inconsolable for days, and I haven't done them since. Fish sort of bore me, I lose interest in them pretty fast. I may stick with the fire belly for awhile, maybe get a second one. My room mate said that they bored her pretty quickly, but I'm reading from everywhere else that they're one of the most active, and hardy amphibians for beginners. The complication comes in the multiple water changes to keep toxicity levels down. The plants alone make the set up worth the two hour drive though, I love carnivorous plants.

On the off chance that I DO decide to go betta in the end (likely with a solitary male because I prefer the fins on them) what are the preferences on types? I had NO idea that there were so many different types of betta out there. Most of mine were dinky petshop purchases, the more common uhm, veil tail I think?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #18 
rubyfire

Oh sorry about your newt.

Yes veil tails are the most common.
There is also crown tails, delta tails, super delta tails, halfmoons, double tails, and plakats.
Here's a link that has the different types and pics
http://www.bettas.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=1
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #19 
fishgurl

Oh wow. See, I always had veiltails. I'm wondering if there's someplace locally where I can find a crown tail or a halfmoon, those are just gorgeous.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #20 
Posaune

The preference is opinion based :P So whatever you think looks preeetty or coool lol. I've been noticing that petstores have a larger variety of bettas these days also :) (My personal favorite is the plakat, or butterfly tailed)

EDIT: Oh, and as far as the fiddler crabs go, yes they are brackish species. So you wouldn't want anything requiring non-brackish water (Though there are plenty of cool fish that can handle brackish water or prefer brackish water).
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote