Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #1 
MabelKMc

Stress and Tank Cleaning

Hi! I'm new to BettaFish.com and I was hoping you guys could help me.
I have limited space in my dorm room so I have my betta in a 2.75 gallon tank.
I do not have a heater or a filter but the tank stays between 68-75 degrees.

By the third or fourth day after I change the water it looks pretty cloudy and I notice that my fish becomes less active.

My questions are:
How often should I change the water?
Should I do full or partial water changes?
If I change the water as often as it gets cloudy, will it become too stressful for my fish?

Thanks so much!
MabelKMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.......

You have to think of it this way.....stress from poor water quality or stress from a water change....

When water changes are done correctly and the Betta gets used to them..soon they will often start to look forward to the fresh clean water....

In a 2.75gal unfiltered tank without live active growing plants-water changes of 1-100% and 1-50% a week to maintain water quality.

Make sure and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water and use a good dechlorinator with any water if on city water supply that covers-chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals

Try and keep the water temp in the 76-80F range so it is important to get a heater to maintain a stable water temp for a tropical fish such as the Betta.

A good varied diet is also important-a good quality pellet type food, frozen foods, live foods are good choices, I would avoid the freeze dried foods other than for a treat a couple of time a week.

Look forward to seeing some pic of your new wet-pet and set-up....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #3 
MabelKMc

Thanks!
I've been doing full water changes as soon as the water gets cloudy, about every 4 days or twice a week, but I'll make one of those a 50%.
I had small heaters in my old fish tanks at home, but they just warmed up, without dials or settings and whatnot, and they got lost in the move.
Do you recommend any small fish tank heaters?

Right now he eats pellets but I've had a fish that ate frozen worms before, as long as keeping them in the freezer doesn't freak out my roommate, I'll vary his diet more.
MabelKMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, tank and tank care